Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Alpha Omega - What is the Omega side like?

tstephens

I really like the Omega side of the A/O pedal but I'm reluctant to drop over £200 for just that one sound. Is anyone aware of any pedals out that are similar to just this side of the A/O?

Reference video from about 2:45 for example.

Good question! 

Check out the SA Aftershock at 1.00 on this video. "Heavy" setting to get that DG scooped dirt. Does that get you close enough?

Can do a lot else besides. It does retain the low end well IMO and you can dial in clean blend if you want even more low end.

They come up reasonably often in the FS for around £75 to £95 used.

Edited by Al Krow

Nice one, thank you!

"Can do a lot else besides. It does retain the low end well IMO and you can dial in clean blend if you want even more low end.

They come up reasonably often in the FS for around £75 to £95 used."

Are you referring to the Aftershock there or the A/O?

The Aftershock. One just went for a bargain basement £75 in the FS. I picked mine up for £90 about a year or so back.

But if it hits the mark for you, then an ad in the wanted section might flush one out.

Have to say i have struggled with unity gain with darkglass B7k and OmegaAlpha. They are great if you use them 100%. Maybe it's just me, but if i dialed in the drive to more 9 o'clock, then UG became unobtainable.. The ultra models have a master volume, so should be no issue there

I recorded this using my Alpha Omega Ultra staight into the desk.

Full Omega with drive on full & blend at 11 o'clock.

I set the graphic eq with a mid hump.

It sounds huge,I really like it & the engineer absolutely loved it too,in fact he didn't alter anything just added some compression.

Edited by artisan

1 hour ago, jbu09 said:

Have to say i have struggled with unity gain with darkglass B7k and OmegaAlpha. They are great if you use them 100%. Maybe it's just me, but if i dialed in the drive to more 9 o'clock, then UG became unobtainable.. The ultra models have a master volume, so should be no issue there

Assuming you understand how the blend and level work on darkglass units (bit different from normal), it sounds like you have had faulty units?  I can't see how its possible not to achieve unit gain unless the blend was all the way dry pretty much on the EQ'd units.

Never had a problem with volume levels either, and I’ve owned most of the range at some point. You just have to wrap your head around the fact the volume control only affects the dirt and not the clean, unlike most other pedals out there. So if you want to raise the master volume, you increase volume and back off the blend. To lower the master volume, back off the volume and increase the blend.

The Omega side sounds a bit like a Fuzz Face set to very low gain. I even managed to get a very close replica out of a Line 6 Helix by mixing a HiWatt amp (Alpha side) with a Fuzz Face (Omega side)!