Why become a member? ×

Mark Hoppus bass...

NancyJohnson

Any owners on here?

I have some gigs upcoming and I've been asked to play a Fender (shudder), so I'd like an honest opinion of the Hoppus bass.  I'd prefer a black one, but at a push pink.  I really don't want to play a Precision or Jazz...this just seems like a happy medium.

I think it's more about keeping it traditional...it wasn't a direct, 'Oh you need to get a Fender,' it was more like, 'Have you got a Precision?'

I've got my old Aria P-bass, but have an on/off hankering for a Hoppus and now just seems an opportune moment to investigate further!

[Edit] Thanks for the kind words about my gear too Warren; I just figure a £5K bass is a bit overkill too!

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If someone asked me to use a Fender Bass I'd turn up with a Coronado or a Bass VI. Or perhaps buy that Alien Ant Farm custom shop model that turns up on eBay every so often.

It's a four piece London punky band, the individual members are pretty well established (I can't say any more on this front right now)...I've known the guitarist for years and he's Gibson, through and through.  Les Pauls, Juniors and Junior DCs.  I guess I'm hoping there's a possibility that this might go onto something else elsewhere too, so I need to play things straightish.

A couple of years back, I did a gig with the Johnsons and I was approached by a dishevelled guy who said I was a brilliant player (aaw, shucks, thanks) and asked where I lived and whether I was open to other projects.  A bloke from another band on the bill asked me whether I knew who the guy was and told me it was Bill Carter from The Screaming Blue Messiahs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's a four piece London punky band, the individual members are pretty well established (I can't say any more on this front right now)...I've known the guitarist for years and he's Gibson, through and through.  Les Pauls, Juniors and Junior DCs.  I guess I'm hoping there's a possibility that this might go onto something else elsewhere too, so I need to play things straightish.

A couple of years back, I did a gig with the Johnsons and I was approached by a dishevelled guy who said I was a brilliant player (aaw, shucks, thanks) and asked where I lived and whether I was open to other projects.  A bloke from another band on the bill asked me whether I knew who the guy was and told me it was Bill Carter from The Screaming Blue Messiahs.

I that case, if it was me I'd buy the cheapest Fender Precision Bass that I could get on with and, if the project took off, look at getting something that still looks the part but is more comfortable to play (how about a Mike Lull JT4?).

Although TBH from the description of the band surely one of your Thunderbirds should fit right in?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Sounds like a great opportunity, will keep my fingers crossed for you

36 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Universe series are Indonesian made (I think)

I've never owned or even played one, but every time I've been faced with one when I'm doing sound engineering  I've always been very impressed by the sound.  If I was ever in the market for a P bass it would top of my list.

On 25/06/2019 at 21:16, NancyJohnson said:

Any owners on here?

I have some gigs upcoming and I've been asked to play a Fender (shudder), so I'd like an honest opinion of the Hoppus bass.  I'd prefer a black one, but at a push pink.  I really don't want to play a Precision or Jazz...this just seems like a happy medium.

I don't know why you think it's a "happy medium".

The MH signature bass is pretty much just a P-Bass...with a Jazz Bass body. Nothing else. It's still a Precision, with a typical Precision sound (on steroids).

NOW, with that being said, I do think the MH basses are great. I had one that I regret selling. There's 2 versions though: the older one (2001-2005) with the normal P pickup and the newer one (2005-2011?) with the reverse P pickup.

Both sound pretty much the same tbh...maybe the reverse P has a bit more lows and less highs but not too much of a difference.

From owning and playing one here's what I can tell you: they sound flipping AMAZING with a pick and some overdrive. Classic punk/rock tone, really crispy and will cut through any mix easily.

But...they're kinda a one-trick pony. With no tone knob and that Quarter-Pounder pickup (which you could replace but then what's the purpose of buying a MH bass...) it really always sounds agressive and clanky. It's not very good for playing fingerstyle imo, unless you're playing agressive à la Steve Harris (it'd probably be the perfect bass for him come to think of it...).

So that's pretty much my take. KILLER tone with a pick especially in punk/rock/metal songs, pretty bland on everything else. I mean it could do the job...but it's certainly not the best for sure. Oh yeah it sounds kinda good for slapping as well...but to be fair a P-Bass really hasn't got the best slap sound - it's not bad, just I feel like the Stingray and the Jazz would do much better.

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Jap JJ Jag or the PJ Jag?

A while back I was rehearsing somewhere and i happened upon someone using what I believe was a US one...with all the switches.  It looked really nice.

Did some investigating last night, and yikes, Jags do seem to come in a lot of derivatives; probably just a PJ though...none of the switching options though, I'd never use them.