Why become a member? ×

Modern big iron amps.

fretmeister

36 minutes ago, fretmeister said:
19 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Good luck and happy amp hunting anyway:)

On the same rehearsal / gigs I will also be playing in other ensembles including the big band

Ah  well that makes sense!

Hope you find something that works for you.

:)

i'm going to throw a curveball into the mix and mention the markbass LM 800.  Surprises me regularly with the amount of power it has and despite what some folk on here say it's as versatile tonewise as just about anything else I've used (mostly mesa). 

4 hours ago, jacko said:

i'm going to throw a curveball into the mix and mention the markbass LM 800.  Surprises me regularly with the amount of power it has and despite what some folk on here say it's as versatile tonewise as just about anything else I've used (mostly mesa). 

Doesn’t this have a digital power stage..?

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Doesn’t this have a digital power stage..?

Apparently the new ones have MB own power amp rather than the same unit everybody else uses but it’s still class D.

The Little Marcus series is on try my list as the EQ is far better than the regular LM series.

The Thunderfunk that is in the classifieds has me interested.

I note from the manual that the TB 550-B can be run all the time without the fan, but I also found an old thread saying that the fan must be on if it is racked. Is that right?

I like the idea of being able to turn the fan off at low volume - but how hot does the casing get? Enough to burn skin or be painful?

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

The Thunderfunk that is in the classifieds has me interested.

I note from the manual that the TB 550-B can be run all the time without the fan, but I also found an old thread saying that the fan must be on if it is racked. Is that right?

I like the idea of being able to turn the fan off at low volume - but how hot does the casing get? Enough to burn skin or be painful?

I have run both the TF550 and 750 at gig volumes with no fan and the casing got warm by the end of the gig but not near 'hot' and that is with the amp in a tight SKB case.  Saying that the fan is so quiet I used to forget if it was on or off!  ;)  

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

@warwickhunt

Thank you. Will the amp do a proper Marcus Miller sound? Proper thumpy but clear?

I'm obviously familiar with MM but don't know his signature sound but if it is big and thumpy then, yes the TF defo does that.  I've used them for a few years now and I've owned loads of other amps in the meantime (inc Mesa, EBS, MB, Demeter etc etc) and the TF seriously kicks a solid low end when some are found wanting (live situations with a drummer/band).  The only amp to tempt me away was the full valve Handbox jobbie but that arrived to me with issues and I went back to the TF.  ;)