Why become a member? ×

Would you buy a bass from an eBay seller not responding to emails?

largo

As the title says, there's a reasonably cheap bass on eBay that has taken my fancy on a BIN price. I've emailed the seller twice with no reply, asking for pics of the case that is included & the weight of the bass. With no response in 3 or 4 days I'm wary of hitting the Buy It Now button but wondered what others views were? Am I being too cautious.

The good thing is the seller doesn't need to respond if there are issues, eBay will simply forcibly remove the funds from the sellers PayPal and return it to you. (After the seller has not responded to an open dispute for 7 days that is). 

After that, eBay will request you send the item back via their pre-paid tracked postage, once the item has either been delivered/delivery refused by the seller/or delivery returned in the event of failed delivery, your money will be credited back to you. 

If you want the bass, and it's a good price, buy it. So long as you pay via PayPal your quite safe.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

As Binky-bass has said; you can buy at your leisure if it is paid for via paypal and return it if not as described (which covers a multitude of sins).  I was suspended by ebay for asking to view something before I bought it, ebay reasoned and stated that they have a returns policy which means that sellers don't need to meet to view (i.e. they were scared of a private sale and them losing commission).  

If the seller has gone to the trouble of posting the eBay listing, and they have decent feedback, and the photos and description looks reasonable, then I'd give the benefit of the doubt regarding communication, there's many a reason they might not be in a position to respond at the moment. 

You could always buy it, and then not pay until they respond to your questions.

As you're pretty well protected via eBay if you buy and pay via PayPal, if it's a bass you REALLY want, then buy it. Worst case scenario you don't pay until he responds or you get your money back. Best case scenario, you get your bass! 

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

OK update, I've now heard from the seller with an apology, so I'm happier about that. Think he's just fed up answering emails and buyers then not going ahead. Good news, I negotiated a further discount and I'm now the owner of a black/maple Stingray USA bass. Always fancied trying one & think it will suit my sound and at the price, if I don't like it I shouldn't lose too much cash on it. Thanks again everyone for their comments and advice, believe it or not it helped. 

• Like 4