Why become a member? ×

New Cabs

Evo - HV

Hi people.  This is my first post so bear with me.  I have a Hartke 5500 which I love but want to change my cab(s) to lighter ones.  I mainly gig in pubs and clubs, the odd festival and biker rally so a mixture.  For pubs and clubs I'll use my Hartke 4x10 and occasionally go through the pa for a little spread of sound.  Bigger venues I use my SWR 6x10 which is a beast and overkill for smaller gigs.  What I'm after is some decent cab(s) but lightweight that can do both jobs, whether I use one or two.  I know the Barfeaced, Bergantino ones are very light and excellent but I'm on a smaller budget so was looking at Orange or Markbass really.  My main question is how good is the Orange "piggy back" 2x12.  I've heard it pushes out a good sound but how good is it?  and if it's couple wuith say a 15 cab would that be all I need?

Cheers in adavnce.

Edited by Evo - HV

Welcome to the board!

For light new cabs on budget, have you thought of the Ashdown Rootmaster series?

The 4x10 is 46 lbs and RRP £399
The 2x10 is apx 34 lbs and £299
The 1x15 is apx 34 lbs and RRP £289. 

I tried an Orange iso 2x12. It was heavy for the size (not a surprise given there are two speakers in a box that looks like it only has one) but the tone was good. I didn't think that it had the onstage spread of sound compared to a traditional 2x12. If I was going Orange I would go for the individual 1x12s stacked which by themselves would be enough for most gigs. They are £399 each though so while not Mesa or Bergantino levels of expense I wouldn't consider them to be a budget solution though it would be a very good solution.

Thanks thodrik,

I have looked at Ashdown and used to have an EVO MAG 300 amp before which was great.  I think I'm just going to have to try some stuff out locally and see what sounds right for me.  Driving me nutz now !!!! ha ha

1 hour ago, Evo - HV said:

Thanks thodrik,

I have looked at Ashdown and used to have an EVO MAG 300 amp before which was great.  I think I'm just going to have to try some stuff out locally and see what sounds right for me.  Driving me nutz now !!!! ha ha

That is the best plan. You never know what you might end up preferring. All the best!

Yep, found that out looking at Bergantino and Barefaced.  But, some of the less expensive ones are now using the Neo drivers, GK, Orange, Markbass etc.  Have found a Markbass 4x10 lightwieght cab locally for £350 in immaculate condition so might be venturing to try it out at some stage.  Any Markbass users here have any thoughts on the cabs for playing the rock genre??

Edited by Evo - HV

I had a 410HR (the smaller rear-ported one) for a while (until it was nicked, in fact), and it was a very good cab. For £350, that'd be a great one-cab solution. It was pretty light (50lbs or so, IIRC), tho a bit...cubic to manhandle, which made it a two-handed lift. If you like the sound and decide it's a keeper, castors would be your friend*. 🙂

* Apart from, like the original Daleks, in Stairs Situations... 🙂

I really liked my Markbass 410 that I had. Their cabs do tend to have a high end roll-off so if you post-DI what FOH will get is treblier than your on stage sound, but if no DI-ing then not a factor.

I had two of the orange cabs as pmt were doing a good deal on them I found them to be really heavy,Tone was great but found they didn’t throw the sound out as good as other cabs I’ve used but this could be down to amp settings or acoustics in the pub,I sold these on for the same as I paid for em as I got em half price,I was using a Markbass stack ie 4-10 hf and 2-10 hf which sound great and are light I have these up for sale inc rock solid covers they are about a year old and in mint condition,my new cabs are a couple of Vanderkley 2-10 s which are absolutely brill and light,not as light as the bare face but I think that the actual cab is better built.

i was using the Markbass cabs with the 800 anniversary head which was ok but I always went back to my 30 year old Trace Elliot and since January I’ve been using the Small Gallien Kruger mb fusion head which is awesome,I’ve had the Vanderkley cabs about two months now and can’t fault em but just One Markbass cab 4-10 will do any gig really they are ok weight wise but the others mentioned are a tad lighter