Why become a member? ×

NBD: Return of the Warwick Thumb SC6!

binky_bass

Finally it's back!

I traded this beast away several years ago and always considered it to be 'one of those that got away'... I think we've all been there, trading a bass and then suffering instant regret! 

However... finally after 3 years of failed attempts to get this bass back, the right sequence of trades has now landed this monster back in my hands. 

It's a Warwick Thumb Single Cut 6, a horrendously expensive thing if you wanted to buy it new (price tag is a shade under €8000). Warwick only made 120 of these and now only make them to order.

These are heavy, but they are exceptionally good basses. The tone is outstanding and slices through any mix, the construction is immaculate. Pommele Bubinga top with USA ash body, flame maple neck and thick ebony board. Solid brass 'invisible' frets, MEC active/passive pickups and preamp. 

This one is near mint, with the flight case and Warwick folder. 

Very glad to have it back! 

20190625_102118.thumb.jpg.960a1356f33c1715d2815ddc490d5251.jpg

20190623_205043.thumb.jpg.43112252f5876a4d595343b186079c25.jpg

20190623_205054.thumb.jpg.f04db15c77a82ab4ba367ce319b5e116.jpg

20190625_102133.thumb.jpg.7d7993e13e623856428a37c6e7f32dd0.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 9

These are the exceptionally rare visible invisible frets!

(The 'invisible' part refers to the side of the fretboard, the grooves are cut so that when the frets are laid, you cannot see them coming through the side of the fretboard. Makes for some super smooth playability! :) )

• Like 1

Congrats! It looks like a great instrument and a monster to tame :) 

Always been curious about these neck-through singlecuts from Warwick (especially ones that new cost as much as a new Marleaux Contra 6!). That top is beautiful!

Do you have any sound files? I'd be also curious to take a closer peek at this 'invisible fret' thing from the side, if you don't mind! It just sounds to me like saying 'proper fretwork has been used here!' with a buzzword to charge more for xD  

Edited by akabane

• 4 months later...

I think this is one of the best designs Warwick has and I like it a lot. But for me it suffers the same design "flaw" of putting the beidge far away from the bottom end of the neck thus making the fretboard and especially the first positions to far to the left (when in playing position) just as with the original Thumb. And I don't know how much the different location of the strap pin helps with this in the case of the SC as on the original Thumb the top horn is also quite short. I sold my '91 NT5 Thumb for this reason, my arm was tired of reaching out, the nut was farther left than on my 35" Spectors and those don't have very long top horns either (longer than the Thumb's though)

But of course this is just a personal observation and preference.