Why become a member? ×

Is it just the weight of a bass?

Baxlin

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

I had a headless Westone Quantum many years ago which I loved. Medium scale I believe.

I must admit I’ve never had the problem with playing position that many have when playing headless instruments (I’ve had 2 headless Seis as well).

It's more to do with where the strap buttons are and how it naturally sits on a strap it just pushed the end of the neck almost exactly two frets further away from your fretting arm than they would be compared to a fender for example, screws up the muscle memory! Am sure other brands and styles are different

43 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

It's more to do with where the strap buttons are and how it naturally sits on a strap it just pushed the end of the neck almost exactly two frets further away from your fretting arm than they would be compared to a fender for example, screws up the muscle memory! Am sure other brands and styles are different

Well I learned to play on a Ric and the strap button is slightly further back than on a Fender; although I’ve owned Fenders I’ve never been a “Fender player” and never settled into a Fender ergonomics, so maybe that’s why it’s never bothered me.

I tend to find that it’s how I stand that is my main issue as opposed to the actual weight of the bass. Being from the ‘stand on the spot and move very little’ school of bass playing I have a bad habit of standing with my left leg slightly further forward than my right. This puts me at a bit of a jaunty angle with all the weight heading to my right leg/hip/right lower back.

I’m mindful of it and when I get out gigging again I’ll be looking to have a little more of a balanced stance.

I’ve just done a 2 hour plus theatre gig, where my usual 7lb active P.Lyte didn’t like some lighting so had to use my spare 8.5 lb passive P-bass. My back and shoulder are  now kicking off big time (despite some local IPA), so am hoping tomorrow night’s gig is back to normal. As Chris says above, look after your backs kids. 😕

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it’s never going to be a simple fix if you’ve had a dodgy back for years, but working as a physio for 25 years has taught me a thing or two... 

Balance will be more important than weight. There is no excuse for neck dive in this modern age. A good strap can certainly help too. Instrument set up and playing technique can also significantly reduce your workload.

Treat your body better than you treat your instrument.  Maybe try some yoga, weights, or Pilates. Seriously.  Even a massage now and then to get the knots out.

Move around on stage, and try positioning your bass a little forward, or backward, to find a sweet spot. Take a stool, sit when you can.

Physio, osteo, and chiro are very expensive. A good one will not just treat your back, but will teach you how to look after yourself, thereby freeing up money for beer and bass gear.  And we all want more of those 😃.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Aliwobble
Wasn’t finished :)
  • Thanks 1