Why become a member? ×

1969 Mustang?????

I think it is genuine.

The lollipop tuners were used 1966-68, so the shape of these is correct for '69 and they have Fender embossing in the backplate. Also the Japanese mustangs use gotoh tuners which require smaller holes in the headstock the japanese ones didn't have matching headstocks.

On the photo of the back of the headstock the maple looks glossier than I would expect so the back of the neck may have been refinished or oversprayed at some point, but the checking on the front of the headstock looks genuine.

To tell with more certainty whether it is a genuine sixties neck we'd need to see a pic of the heel end of the neck - on a 60s/early 70s one the rosewood fingerboard will be curved and appear to be applied like a veneer wrapped over the curved top of the neck (like my '72 musicmaster), whereas on a reissue the fingerboard will have more of a slab appearance - like on my CIJ mustang & JMJ Mustang.

There is some checking on the body which suggests a laquer finish rather than the poly finish of the reissues and the hardware has a patina.

The pickguard could be a reissue as an old celluloid pearl one would have gassed out and show a nice warm colour, some shrinkage and discolouration under and around the tug bar (like my '72 musicmaster).

The mutes on the bridge were never fitted to reissues as far as I am aware.