Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibe Basses

zvirus

Everything I've read says they're more like the old vintage modified rather than the old classic vibe.

Whether that's based on examination and experience or just a guess based on the price and factory, I don't know.

Daphne Blue is a fantastic colour. Unfortunately I have a Squier phobia. I wish the player series had Daphne Blue as an option.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Couldn't find any using the search function.

I typed (without the quotes) "classic vibe" into the search box and pressed the button. Top thread is this one, then there's a few classifieds ads, then this:

There's lots of other threads too but that one seems to cover what you want to know.

3 hours ago, thegummy said:

Everything I've read says they're more like the old vintage modified rather than the old classic vibe.

Whether that's based on examination and experience or just a guess based on the price and factory, I don't know.

Daphne Blue is a fantastic colour. Unfortunately I have a Squier phobia. I wish the player series had Daphne Blue as an option.

It`s worth trying to get over that phobia. I`ve just bought a Squier VM77 Jazz Bass and aside from the pickups which I`m changing due to very low output it`s a cracking bass. I`ve had numerous Jazzes and never really connected with any until this one. 

38 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It`s worth trying to get over that phobia. I`ve just bought a Squier VM77 Jazz Bass and aside from the pickups which I`m changing due to very low output it`s a cracking bass. I`ve had numerous Jazzes and never really connected with any until this one. 

You're right and I have tried and just like I know a tiny spider on the wall isn't going to hurt me, I believe Squier basses are surely fine. But phobias are irrational. I think having a low-end Squier from age 12 and knowing that Fender was the real deal all those years has been too deeply engrained in me.

Thankfully Fender branded basses are only relatively more expensive than Squiers but still fairly affordable so it's not causing me too much grief :)

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I've got a 77VM and It's a cracking bass, Changed all the wiring and didn't need to change pickups after that. Plenty of ooommpff. Really light weight too. Fantastic neck. My go to bass. 

So many people think the most expensive basses in a range are the best. For some they are, for others they are not. There is a reason many pro players use a MIM Fender over a US one. 

Don't get caught in the hype, some basses work for people, some don't. Try them yourself, and you'll know if the CV, VM or any other brand or range best suits your tastes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

I've got a 77VM and It's a cracking bass, Changed all the wiring and didn't need to change pickups after that. Plenty of ooommpff. Really light weight too. Fantastic neck. My go to bass. 

You changed the wires in a bass and it changed the sound?

Find that very hard to believe.

23 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

So many people think the most expensive basses in a range are the best. For some they are, for others they are not. There is a reason many pro players use a MIM Fender over a US one. 

Don't get caught in the hype, some basses work for people, some don't. Try them yourself, and you'll know if the CV, VM or any other brand or range best suits your tastes.

Could you name a few pro players who use a MIM Fender? I'm not suggesting there aren't any or anything, I've just never seen it as far as I'm aware but would like to.

17 hours ago, thegummy said:

Could you name a few pro players who use a MIM Fender? I'm not suggesting there aren't any or anything, I've just never seen it as far as I'm aware but would like to.

I wouldn’t want to name the ones I know, but there are a fair few seasoned pros on the punk/Oi scene that use MIM Fenders. And they sound great too.

26 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I wouldn’t want to name the ones I know, but there are a fair few seasoned pros on the punk/Oi scene that use MIM Fenders. And they sound great too.

Lozz is actually taking about himself! 😂

That aside doesn't Joe Dart still use an old Mexican jazz? 

1 hour ago, bassix said:

Lozz is actually taking about himself! 😂

That aside doesn't Joe Dart still use an old Mexican jazz? 

Kinda of weird, I was just going to reply to Lozz's comment to say that between me posting the question and now, I'd read that Joe Dart's Jazz is a Mexican! Quite a coincidence.

And I don't doubt for a second the MiM's sound great - my main bass is a Mexican Fender. I had theorised the reason I rarely see famous players with Mexicans is because they get endorsement deals from Fender so either get the higher end ones for free or at such a reduction they might as well buy the higher end ones.

My friend knows a guy who isn't exactly a star; has had a few TV appearances on Jools Holland and such backing up artists but not as a known name himself and he can apparently get any Fender for half price. So I imagine anyone more famous gets even better deals than that.

2 hours ago, thegummy said:

My friend knows a guy who isn't exactly a star; has had a few TV appearances on Jools Holland and such backing up artists but not as a known name himself and he can apparently get any Fender for half price. So I imagine anyone more famous gets even better deals than that.

I got 10% off a Squier from a Nottingham music shop - how famous does that make me?

• Haha 1