Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibe Basses

zvirus

Hi,

Fender knows how to make sure new Classic Vibe Basses will not be better than MiM or USA basses (which WAS the case IMO):

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/precision-bass/classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass/0374510505.html?rl=en_US

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/jazz-bass/classic-vibe-60s-jazz-bass/0374530504.html

Poplar body... seriously?

Will this give you any sort of low end?

Or maybe I`m totally wrong and they are still good?

Cheers

Tomas

The Classic Vibe series of both guitars and basses have always been very well regarded, I had the original Telecaster with the Pine body, that sounded fine, yes they are built to a budget but I do think they set a good benchmark for how good a guitar built to a lower budget can be

3 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Two lumps of wood, a pickup, bbot and some tuners, just like like any other P bass to me. 

Agree, someone up on stage who switches from ash to poplar bodied bass, noone in the crowd will notice the difference.

I was actually just looking at the Squier classic vibes at the moment. I wish they had some other colours!

My Vintage Tony Butler Precision is made of poplar and it’s a great sounding bass - sounds very similar to my US Fenders. Ok it has different pickups/hardware etc but it sounds more like the US ones than would be expected for the money, I don’t think the poplar body detracts from it much.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on how much you think wood affects tone once you're plugged in.

Personally I think pickup placement and pickup type affect plugged in tone far more than what wood the instrument is made of or what shape the body is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

Certainly not bothered about Poplar, but Laurel just looks horrible, just looks super dry and cheap! Give me maple any day in the absence of proper rosewood.

Si

I thought that but keep it fed and it looks great! I think they just let it get super dry on the basses its used on.

57 minutes ago, Moos3h said:

I thought that but keep it fed and it looks great! I think they just let it get super dry on the basses its used on.

You’re probably right, would be great to see some photos of Laurel  in a healthier/properly oiled state.

Si

GG in Glasgow have the sunburst Jazz with the maple neck. And very nice looking it is to. Didn`t plug it in as I had some cash and it might have been going home with me if it sounded as good as it looks. They are now made in Indonesia unlike the original ones which were Chinese. Don`t know if it makes a difference though.

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Agree, someone up on stage who switches from ash to poplar bodied bass, noone in the crowd will notice the difference.

I was actually just looking at the Squier classic vibes at the moment. I wish they had some other colours!

Agreed on both counts. Nothing wrong with poplar, and dull colour choices. The daphne blue is quite nice, but needs a different pickguard.

21 hours ago, Sibob said:

Certainly not bothered about Poplar, but Laurel just looks horrible, just looks super dry and cheap! Give me maple any day in the absence of proper rosewood.

Si

Two rosewood and one laurel fretboard right here. One of the rosewood boards has a slightly richer figure if you look VERY close and the laurel is slightly darker. I doubt I would have noticed if I hadn't read the spec.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Two rosewood and one laurel fretboard right here. One of the rosewood boards has a slightly richer figure if you look VERY close and the laurel is slightly darker. I doubt I would have noticed if I hadn't read the spec.

Ah that’s good then, must just be poor oiling or lighting in those stock photos then!

Si

On 24/03/2019 at 20:13, zvirus said:

Poplar body... seriously?

Will this give you any sort of low end?

Or maybe I`m totally wrong and they are still good?

Cheers

Tomas

I've played poplar-bodied basses ...

... and you know what, nobody ever said to  me 'wow that bass has no sort of low end, is it poplar?'

i'd expect them to be eminently playable and to sound great.

Edited by EssentialTension

10 hours ago, Sibob said:

Ah that’s good then, must just be poor oiling or lighting in those stock photos then!

Si

It may depend on the actual piece of wood - I may have got lucky!

Old (~35years) rosewood left, young laurel (right). The laurel has similar but not quite as nice grain, but darker. Similar finish. The rosewood used to get treated with fast fret, but not for decades.

image.thumb.png.7e6b5124da3ece6369c5afae332625a0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1