Why become a member? ×

Stagg EDB 3/4 RDL Deluxe Sound Sample - First in The UK(?)

zvirus

Hi,

After HOURS of work, reshaping the fingerboard, bridge, filing bridge and nut, modding the pre-amp, changing strings to used Obligato I have managed to get this kind of sound from My Stagg Deluxe(ROSEWOOD fingerboard):

I believe these are one of the first and maybe only in The UK - sound sample of THAT model....

DI > Reaper - EQ (380Hz @-15dB) and tiny bit of compression...

What do you think? Forgive me sloppy playing(!)

20190523_104617.jpg

Thx
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

On 03/07/2019 at 09:20, knirirr said:

Is this the one? If so I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the instrument, particularly unmodified.

The tone sounds good to me, thanks for posting it!

My pleasure!

Bad news It needs following mods to get to that point:

• 1. Strings, the ones fitted - horrible sound and KINKED (in the factory i guess?) 
  • 2. Fingerboard - came DRY as.... desert(?) and mountains and valleys plus some leftover glue on surface (well, who cares in the factory?)  - needs lots of sanding to get some concave. 1h of sanding maybe more  -  I do not recommend it if You are NOT DIY Man/Lady   also lots of sanding to get rounded edges - otherwise you could CUT your fingers. 10 minutes of work. Looks like 10 minutes in a factory is too long...
  • 3. Spacing and height at the Bridge - really bad from factory(!!!)  Space between strings and height measured from top of the fingerboard. I was forced to RESHAPE whole curve and make new grooves. G D A strings were higher than E (lovely)

Bridge after fix:

• bridge.jpg

• 4. Strings height at the Nut. Common but easy to fix. My G string is around 0.1mm above fingerboard. E string 0.2mm - no buzz at all empty strings
  • 5. Muting strings between the bridge and tail as they would RING constantly while playing

I do understand it`s a simple cheap instrument but will not forgive:

1. Unfinished fingerboard

2. Sloppy  Bridge setup

Only bought it as knew I`ll manage to fix things especially ROSEWOOD fingerboard not maple one with NASTY paint on it...

I was only pleased with:

1. QUIET electronic  - VERY quiet

2. Paint job

Edited by zvirus