Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro 2e opinions

mark_ir

Hi all

looking for Wal experts opinions

this looks like a replacement neck to me (custom mk1 style) 

also I thought all Pro’s were ash not mahogany  

Anything else look incorrect? (apart from the appalling string winding) 

can’t help thinking this is overpriced.

Seller’s market I guess though... 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/2204326926282711?sale_post_id=2204326926282711&sfns=mo

The seller in question frequently lists items with prices which are,  in polite terms, incredibly aspirational rather than realistic.

His tendency for marking up 1980s Yamaha guitars for extortionate prices were starting to annoy me more on Facebook than Tough Mudder adverts and Guardian articles about the merits of random fad diets. Personally, I consider the seller in question to be a professional dealer who dresses himself up as an individual collector who is' just deciding to sell a few items from his private collection'. I have no problem with professional dealers, however I do have a real issue with how the seller presents himself or his collection on Facebook community threads. I don't think that professional dealers should be using Facebook marketplace threads (which are designed to be community threads used by private individuals) to sell their wares. 

I would also never buy a bass from anyone that installs string in the manner shown in the pictures of the instrument in question. 

Even in the Wal market, I wouldn't be paying much over £2,500 grand, maybe £3,000 at a push and I really really wanted it.

• Thanks 1

Hi @mark_ir

Agree with the above comments too... An ash body for sure and it looks to me like a replacement neck. 

It's a JG serial number and some of that JG batch of early Wal Pros had the letters 'JG' on the headstock too - hence why I think this is a replacement neck. 

Having said that, the headstock looks almost like a hybrid of the earlier so-called 'cricket bat' style and the more refine custom model headstock design. 

Nevertheless it still looks like a good, early example of a Pro IIe, but even then I'd say that its about £1k to £1.5k overpriced, especially in this market. 

Great basses though - I've had a few of them over the years and I always preferred them to the Custom models. 

Best of luck with it all.. 

Nik 

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

Gut feelings confirmed. Such a shame - a great instrument will languish until a rich idiot succumbs. 

Anyone who has a Pro or a custom fretted or fretless they are thinking or shifting, gimme a shout. 

Unless you’re a shark like this guy 

It likely is a replacement neck, but its an early Mk1 (Custom series) neck.

that single rivet next to the logo indicates this is an 81-83 neck, those original had one small string tree only for the two middle strings. And when someone installed a 2nd tree with them relocated to the mid 80's position, it was typical for Wal to plug the headstock hole with one of the body indicator rivets for the control knobs. 

• Like 1

Lovely lovely bass. Silly money though. 

I could have bought one like that 20 odd years ago off a friend for £600.

Like the young fool that I was, I passed and bought a dog of a Rickenbacker instead. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

There's a knob missing too.  You'd have to solder in a new pot with a fixed shaft then find a matching knob. 

Mr Morewood has an enviable collection of basses and sometimes sells some beauties, but his Wal descriptions are generally cut and paste and often plain wrong.

Barge pole, touch with, probably not.