Why become a member? ×

Behringer XR18 Connection & EQ

bassmansam

Hi, 

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this desk in a live situation? 

I have the genzler magellan 800 and Barefaced BB2 on stage and use various pedals including a diamond bass compressor. I've been using the Genzler di straight into the XR18 (Pre). 

FOH we have 2 x RCF 732s and 2 x Alto Subs. Our Drummer controls all of the sound via the Ipad. We mic up vocals, guitar, bass, kick and 1 x overhead mic for most gigs. 

1) Is this the best way to connect the bass to the desk? 

2) Are there any EQ tips you could give me that have worked for you? 

Thanks. 

Edited by bassmansam

1. Via the DI. Yes.

2. EQ bass cab for onstage monitoring

2b. EQ on XR18 for front of house sound. Send the bass from the head preDI as the tone shaping on the XR18 is more comprehensive than that of the Genz.

Keep the monitor volume from your amp setup on stage as low as you can. Roll off the bass... when people add bass, you tend to add indecipherable mush. Add lower mids.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

1. Via the DI. Yes.

2b. EQ on XR18 for front of house sound. Send the bass from the head preDI as the tone shaping on the XR18 is more comprehensive than that of the Genz.

Keep the monitor volume from your amp setup on stage as low as you can. Roll off the bass... when people add bass, you tend to add indecipherable mush. Add lower mids.

That's great, thanks for the advice. 

I noticed the bass was sounding quite thin through the PA last weekend when I went out front. I'll look at boosting low mids on the XR18 as oppose to bass/bottom end? 

17 hours ago, bassmansam said:

That's great, thanks for the advice. 

I noticed the bass was sounding quite thin through the PA last weekend when I went out front. I'll look at boosting low mids on the XR18 as oppose to bass/bottom end? 

It's a common misconception that rolling on bass is a good idea to make the bass punch through and sound fatter. Most of the stuff in the real lows is going to sound very muddy, very quickly, especially with subs if you start bumping those lower frequencies up. Look around 100Hz and up to get the definition you are looking for - you may find that your FoH will improve substantially by actually hpfing whats under 100Hz... even for bass... especially when running subs.  If you think that the big thuddy bass drum you hear through subs is typically around 55-65Hz range, you can see why ploughing on a load of that on your bass is going to end up in a load of indecipherable mess and just rob a load of useful power from your poweramp.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

1. Via the DI. Yes.

Exactly this. 

Been using a Soundcraft Ui16 recently with a very similar band setup. I found I needed to roll off above 5kHz drastically and reduce both high mids and below 100Hz in order to get the FOH to sound like the bass amp. This was DI from a TC450. Ymmv....