Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs?

Quilly

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Owned one, a 1212L. Great sounding cab, very particularly voiced for playing in a band. Doesn't sound great in isolation, but that's not what it was designed for.

Was looking at the 2x10 1210l 700w ! . Was hoping to use it with another 4ohm can using the 2 ohm tap on my amp...are they sensitive?

I’m not sure what you mean by sensitive. But if you mean, do they pick up up on nuances in your playing, than yes they’re good, not Phil Jones or Euphonic Audio sensitive, but they do a fine job.

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Was looking at the 2x10 1210l 700w ! . Was hoping to use it with another 4ohm can using the 2 ohm tap on my amp...are they sensitive?

You won't need another cab with the Schroeder. They are great cabs and very loud.

I used a 1515L for years, and yep, they sound a bit honky on their own, but in a band they're a fantastic cab. I've played club-sized venues with one and a 500w Class D head, and never pushed it. Great cabs for a gigging bassist. A mate had the 1212L in a rock covers band with 2 guitards, and it always sounded great.

• Like 1

I own a 1512L for years, and am very satisfied with its sound and power, nevertheless they are quite expensive for what they are. the finish is far from meticulous, and I burned a lot of tweeters (Jorg gave me some) before realizing mine has NO FILTERING !!!! (a joke, said a tech I know, happily I don't have a big need for tweeters after all). I got it for very little money so it is fine, but otherwise  won't be very pleased, if I had put a thousand in this one.

edit. It has a very good sensitivity. 103db on the paper I Believe.

Edited by totorbass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’m not sure what you mean by sensitive. But if you mean, do they pick up up on nuances in your playing, than yes they’re good, not Phil Jones or Euphonic Audio sensitive, but they do a fine job.

I meant SPL rating . I have a 100w tube head . Sometimes bass cabinets have poor sensitivity and require a higher powered amp to be loud enough 

Pretty much what the others have said, seem to be voiced more for live performance. The other thing is that the dispersion of sound is probably the best I`ve ever had from any cab, you need to move almost next to the cab for the sound to change, unlike many others where simply straying a step to one side or the other means much of the high-end is lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

I meant SPL rating . I have a 100w tube head . Sometimes bass cabinets have poor sensitivity and require a higher powered amp to be loud enough 

Ah, I see. I can’t help you there I’m afraid. I used to run mine with a Mark Bass LMll.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have a pair of 1x8s which I got from Kevvo - all I've done is plug them in to check that they work. I'm sure I'll get the chance to use them in anger at some point..

I nearly inherited your old Glockenklang cab but the shipping costs were prohibitively high 😩.

20 hours ago, ezbass said:

Owned one, a 1212L. Great sounding cab, very particularly voiced for playing in a band. Doesn't sound great in isolation, but that's not what it was designed for.

Yep, exactly what i was going to say. I also had a 1210R as well. Both run with Markbass heads or a GK MB800. Never did i have too little power for any gig. They were very pokey.

Ive always thought they have two sounds. The close up mid heavy tone that helps you hear yourself on stage, and the fuller tone out front where it counts. 

Ive never settled down with a cab since getting rid of mine. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 18:15, Quilly said:

I nearly inherited your old Glockenklang cab but the shipping costs were prohibitively high 😩.

I think the shipping using Interparcel was about £15...

It's a great cab - been tempted to get it back myself but I'm not using most of the gear I already have. Suggestion? Think again.

Edited by TheGreek

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think the shipping using Interparcel was about £15...

It's a great cab - been tempted to get it back myself but I'm not using most of the gear I already have. Suggestion? Think again.

Interesting, my GAS has moved on to other things but I might reconsider it if 😂😂

I had a 21012 with the 12 on the slanted baffle. The best single cab solution I’ve ever used. Wish I still owned it but redundancy forced me to let it go. Would have another in a heartbeat. As others have said, they sit really well in the mix on their own and they have a room filling sound which I think is down to the speaker being in a slant port like an old fashioned bass bin.

I used to have a 1212L. I liked it, but in the end just couldn't get on with that midrange hump. Probably because I play with two heavy mid range guitarists. I was also playing a Jazz back then too so it was all honk. 

It sat in the mix alright and I had no problem being heard. I just didn't get on with the hump in the end. 

Moved it on and bought a Barefaced Big One than downsized that to a Compact. I'm getting very tempted by a Big Twin 2. 😈

28 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I used to have a 1212L. I liked it, but in the end just couldn't get on with that midrange hump. Probably because I play with two heavy mid range guitarists. I was also playing a Jazz back then too so it was all honk. 

It sat in the mix alright and I had no problem being heard. I just didn't get on with the hump in the end. 

Moved it on and bought a Barefaced Big One than downsized that to a Compact. I'm getting very tempted by a Big Twin 2. 😈

Must admit i felt the same abut my 1212L on and off during the time i had it, but since getting rid of it i miss that tone. I went from that to a BF Retro 210, and then the BB2. Neither had the kick 1212L had. Maybe thats why i never got on with them, although neither sounded that great out front in a band mix (to my ears)

49 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Must admit i felt the same abut my 1212L on and off during the time i had it, but since getting rid of it i miss that tone. I went from that to a BF Retro 210, and then the BB2. Neither had the kick 1212L had. Maybe thats why i never got on with them, although neither sounded that great out front in a band mix (to my ears)

What amp and bass were you using?

Back then as I said, I was using a jazz and tone rolled all up and an Ampeg SVT--IIP. Whenever I tried to get underneath that hump, it was all a bit indistinct, but for that honk, it was great. 

I play a P through a SVP-Pro now. tone rolled off, much deeper and all beef 🤣. Tbh, I do like to get a bit of high end bass in my monitor mix to help sometimes. Esp in venues where I end up with snare and kick in there too. 

Back when I using the the 1212L, we were mostly playing venues just a vocal PA and I was often told the bass was loud out front. I always blamed this on my mid heavy guitarists, but I think that 1212L hump was part of the problem. Bit of volume and frequency war which the 1212L isn't gonna lose. 

Edited by bigjohn

Back then i too was only gigging with a vocal PA, so had to supply the full bass experience from the rig at the back of the stage. 

I was mainly using Markbass heads, SA450, LMII, F1, but also dabbled with a GK 1001RBII, Ashdown ABM300 and Streamliner 600. I also had other cabs but always went back to the 1212L or 1012R.

I still have the F1 and still use it, but it just didn't/doesn't seem to gel as well with other cabs for me. 

Also flitted between P and Jazz mostly, although i also owned other basses.

I loved the tone out front, very full, and although not sparkly, still quite clear. On stage I always felt i was too loud, but the band loved that they could hear me (drummer used to say its lucky as I’m the only one that knows a the songs:-) 

my current cab is a RS212. Lovey tone close up but ive yet to gig it. I doubt it will be room filling like the 1212L though.

Bugger, getting 1212L GAS now lol. 

• Haha 1