Why become a member? ×

Thumb BO & Stiingray quick advice please

Pinball

I have have a nice 5 stingray that I'm thinking of swapping for a Warwick Thumb BO. The Thumb sounds like a good one, late 90's, great woods and condition and very lightweight. I can't try before we swap though as there is some distance involved so once I'm committed it is happening.

My question is about the relative values,. I am assuming that they are about the same so am I right?

I have never played a Thumb before and am a bit unsure that the "geometry" will suit me so I may end up selling.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Ed

Edited by Pinball

I used to play a 5 string Thumb BO for a number of years.  It's a fine sounding bass, and some might say, a more defined growl than the Stingray and had one of the best necks I've ever played, and one that only gets better the more you play it.

But, and it's a big but, the ergonomics (or 'geometry' as you say) are not for everyone. With a tiny body, big chunky neck and short upper horn, it's rather unbalanced and neck heavy. Some people recommend a wide grippy strap but all that did for me is ruck up my shirt. Others have no such issue with the instrument. You could say it's a rather 'marmite' issue - people are either fine with it or can't deal with it. Personally, it got to the point that I was in pain for a couple of days after every gig, so it had to go, as much as I loved the instrument.

I went in a completely different direction and now play a Yamaha Attitude Ltd2 (essentially a hot-rodded P bass). Totally different tone, feel and ergonomics. Funny thing is, when I pulled out the Thumb last year to sell it after languishing in a gig bag for 8 years, I just couldn't play it very well. Felt totally alien to me.

So anyway, to sum up. Great sounding bass, well built, brilliant neck. But please do try before you buy, preferably on a strap for a whole gig.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 2

My issue with the Thumb NT5 I had was the geometry and ergonomics of the bass: as Greg mentioned in the prev post the short upper horn makes it quite unbalanced and also puts the whole bass quite a lot to the left, meaning the 1st position is a lot farther to the left than on a Stingray for ex. As said above it may not matter to some but it was an issue for me for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

You haven't told us about your SR5, but generally I'd say both instruments are of similar value. 

Natural, lightweight at 9.7lb, plays like a dream. Up for sale somewhere on here.

21 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I love Thumbs. I generally find they have a better tone than a Stingray and also balance well so long as you wear them high. They are heavy though. 

I don't think they are particularly heavy, I think is just the ergonomics that make them appear so.  The 4 string BO Thumb is 7.7lbs and the 5 string BO I had is 8.14lbs. Not a lot different to a typical Stingray or Fender, perhaps even a tad lighter.

But yes, the tone is stellar.