Why become a member? ×

JoinMyBand Just gets worse!

thebrig

I've just about had my fill with JoinMyBand, we have an ad on for a singer at the moment, FOUR replies almost immediately, I reply to them immediately, five days later, nothing back from them?

Then this morning I receive another message.

And this is the link in the message:

I give up!!!

bb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Ouch! - well I stuck in there for 3 minutes in case I had a sudden realisation that this was actually 'avant-garde art noise' and I just wasn't getting it.

But then I reluctantly concluded it was actually just pure tosh done by some kid in his bedroom.

even gary barlow had to start somewhere

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Surely this is a Singer thing rather than a JMB thing?

Bin there, dun that.

Nope! Had it with guitarists and drummers too, don't know about bassists though because I've never had the need to advertise for one.

Speaking for myself, if I respond to an ad and the person replies with more info, I always rely back asap, even if it's not for me, that way, they can cross me off the list and move on.

I don't think it's just joinmyband, we've been after a new guitarist for a punk covers/originals band, about 50 gigs a year, (all stated in the ad) on joinmyband , facebook ,Gumtree etc, so far we've had 4 replies, one guy got in touch 4 times to exactley the same ad in different places and then said he didn't want covers, despite the fact that's what it said in the ad, another failed to turn up to the audition twice before admitting he was too busy at work, another failed to turn up for audition, then admitted he couldn't really play well enough, hopefully the last one will work out.

One of the problems we've found is decent players are already in too many bands to commit to 50 odd gigs a year

JMB is useless.

We advertised for a drummer and in the ad it clearly stated the location of our rehearsal room and the ideal candidate will have a full drum kit and can drive.

A 'drummer' replied but:

He lives 30 miles from where we rehearse 

He can't drive

He only has a snare and a hi hat

He seemed to think it could work though despite these small issues...

• Haha 5

I've been looking on JMB for about 5 months now.  I got made redundant from my old job 6 months ago which didn't give me enough spare time to play much bass. I decided not to take a similar job with long hours and early starts and get get back into playing. Well, what a shower of shyte it's been. I've only replied to suitable ads, the type of stuff I want to play and similar age group to myself (46). I'm a pretty decent and experienced player, good enough for your pub covers band which it what I want to do, nothing fancy, just enjoy playing again. I must have responded to at least 10 ads so far. Managed to get 1 audition after a long struggle communicating with them and never heard anything again. Many messages don't get a reply or the messages just stop. One bands set list was pretty much the same as my last bands. I said I'd be interested and knew all the stuff they did. I got a very quick reply saying that they'd audition me at next practice and seemed very enthusiastic about it.....  then nothing. 

It's been like that all along, a bloody waste of time. 

The fundamental problem is that, like Gumtree, it's free. If it costs nothing to post an ad, then you'll get a high proportion of ads being somewhere between random and completely braindead, plus there's no great pressure to follow up on things.

Add to that the fact that the vast majority of people who call themselves musicians are flakes or fantasists or both, and you just need to be prepared for the inevitable.

• Like 2

JMB has the potential to be huge, but as Jack said, the main problem is that it's free, so any asshat can post there. 

Lutz/recording aside, I've been away from band stuff for about 18 months now, so posted up about three weeks ago.  At least  got some replies, but they're all from numbskulls.  Might have another peruse now...

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe they should make a JoinMyBand-pro, where you have to pay, to filter people out who are not serious. And have a feedback of replying time!

I would certainly pay for a pro version if it eliminated the time wasters that plague it. 

I forgot tho mention earlier that one band gave me a list of a songs to learn for an audition. I spent quite a lot of time learning them only to never hear from the band again! Ignored all the messages I sent them. Turds. 

10 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Ouch! - well I stuck in there for 3 minutes in case I had a sudden realisation that this was actually 'avant-garde art noise' and I just wasn't getting it.

But then I reluctantly concluded it was actually just pure tosh done by some kid in his bedroom.

One thing that wasn't was avant-garde. 

Wasn't particularly noise either...

I've never been messed around by a group of people more than 'musicians'. I got back into playing 10 years ago, and hand on heart, people who want to be in bands have been the biggest time wasters I've encountered. JMB, gumtree, bandmix, ads in music stores, open mics, word of mouth...every one has been a complete waste of time. 

Watch grass grow, it's more rewarding.

• Like 2