Why become a member? ×

"Guest" postings...?

Ricky 4000

Question

I regularly see (in my notifications window), that somebody called "Guest" has posted, but I don't see those posts when I follow the links...

Is there a setting to allow viewing of Guest posts (if by "Guest" it means forum visitors who are not logged in?).

... or is there a real member called "Guest" who presumably has me on ignore!...

In checking this out, I found I accidentally had @AndyTravis on ignore! Sorry Andy, don't know how that happened!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I've tried being nice, but it's getting me nowhere.

Thought I'd try out wearing a leather jacket and spitting.

Spit-300x300.jpg

It's a bit warm for leather jackets, make sure you stay hydrated - we don't want you getting heat stroke & becoming delirious & posting nonsense on here...oh wait 🤔  :laugh1:

Be careful with the spitting as well - it'll contribute to your dehydration. Also, check which way the wind's blowing - could end in disaster! :o

:D

• Haha 1

At a time when our fragile planet is facing a Climate Emergency it ill behoves us to spray emoticons hither and yon with wild abandon.

I know that everyone's very excited and I do not wish to be a 'party pooper' but emoticons are widely acknowledged as contributing to increases in carbon dioxide and - as such - free, drifting emoticons put polar bears in the gravest of peril.

Please remember this when your fingers edge towards the Emoji button.

That is all.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

At a time when our fragile planet is facing a Climate Emergency it ill behoves us to spray emoticons hither and yon with wild abandon.

I know that everyone's very excited and I do not wish to be a 'party pooper' but emoticons are widely acknowledged as contributing to increases in carbon dioxide and - as such - free, drifting emoticons put polar bears in the gravest of peril.

Please remember this when your fingers edge towards the Emoji button.

That is all.

smiley  smiley   smiley smileysmiley smiley

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Teebs said:

smiley  smiley   smiley smileysmiley smiley

Just where do you get all these things from?

Some little child somewhere in South East Asia is working night and day for pennies making these emojis just so that you can sp#nk 'em all over the place.

Now listen to Mr Delvar and stop with the emojis before this thread becomes another worthless cesspit.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

373364560_gretathunbergcrying.jpg.e99232d2cba6ba72e89a79a364eca003.jpg

Now you've made a 16 year-old girl cry.

You  unfeeling bastard.

13 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Just where do you get all these things from?

Some little child somewhere in South East Asia is working night and day for pennies making these emojis just so that you can sp#nk 'em all over the place.

Now listen to Mr Delvar and stop with the emojis before this thread becomes another worthless cesspit.....

You're both missing the point! :o

I only source my emojis from the most ethical, morally upright sources!

They are certified vegan-friendly, organic, and LBGTQWGFAZMT supportive. 🌈

As well as being fully-sustainable, carbon neutral!

Every time I use them, I know I'm making the world a better place, & it gives me a tremendous feeling of moral superiority! ;)

Anyway, it's not like I said I was a cyclist or a dog walker, or heaven forbid - a driver!

*shudders & runs away cackling* :D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

You're both missing the point! :o

I only source my emojis from the most ethical, morally upright sources!

They are certified vegan-friendly, organic, and LBGTQWGFAZMT supportive. 🌈

As well as being fully-sustainable, carbon neutral!

Every time I use them, I know I'm making the world a better place, & it gives me a tremendous feeling of moral superiority! ;)

Anyway, it's not like I said I was a cyclist or a dog walker, or heaven forbid - a driver!

*shudders & runs away cackling* :D 

:facepalm:I despair, I really do.

It's not bad enough that you don't see the problem, it's the fact that you think you're part of the solution!

There's no such thing as a sustainable source for emojis. Once they've all been mined, that's it, they're gone. And conditions in the emoji mines of SE Asia are terrible (there was a Panorama expose on this about six months ago). So not only are you promoting exploitation of child labour, you're also burning your way through a dwindling supply of an increasingly rare commodity - and deluding yourself that you're somehow doing it "responsibly". Get a grip, you hippy!!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

:facepalm:I despair, I really do.

It's not bad enough that you don't see the problem, it's the fact that you think you're part of the solution!

There's no such thing as a sustainable source for emojis. Once they've all been mined, that's it, they're gone. And conditions in the emoji mines of SE Asia are terrible (there was a Panorama expose on this about six months ago). So not only are you promoting exploitation of child labour, you're also burning your way through a dwindling supply of an increasingly rare commodity - and deluding yourself that you're somehow doing it "responsibly". Get a grip, you hippy!!

You're quite, quite deluded my poor BonyUomo! :(

TLRTs are finite & in limited numbers, emojis / emoticons are plentiful and bountiful! :)

This is a common misconception amongst people of your... erm... advanced experience! :D

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Teebs said:

TLRTs are finite & in limited numbers, emojis / emoticons are plentiful and bountiful!

Yes, but there's a price.

Charity Appeal

p16684_large.jpg

This is Bayu Megawatti. He's 12 years old and he works 18 hours a day, seven days a week in an Indonesian Emoji mine. His parents sold him to the mining company and he hasn't been back to his village for nearly 18 months. Bayu's daily diet is half a ham sandwich and a glass of water. 

If you think that Bayu's story is unacceptable in the 21st Century then send all your money to:

Del Var Helping Hands, PO Box 63, Salisbury SP6 7FU

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Teebs said:

You're quite, quite deluded my poor BonyUomo! :(

TLRTs are finite & in limited numbers, emojis / emoticons are plentiful and bountiful! :)

This is a common misconception amongst people of your... erm... advanced experience! :D

You cheeky little bleeder - you ain't too old to go over my knee, y'know. I tell yer, if i was twenty years younger yer wunt be ser bleedin' cheeky then.

I dunno, bloody kids to-bloody-day, got no respect. 'S them wind turbines wot does it, sends 'em all crazy in the 'ead, like. An' that Young Teens, 'e's the worst of 'em 'e is wiv 'is answ'rin' back an 'is bleedin' whotcher-ma-call-ems, emoanies or some such. Never 'eard the like, I 'aven't. We never needed no emoanies in my day. Oh no, a swift one up the bracket and that left no-one in any doubt abaht 'ow you was feelin'. I remember when it was all fields rahnd 'ere and me and my mate Ricky we used to go dahn the woods be'ind old Johnson's place and nick 'is apples. Anyway, one day.....

(Shuffles off, mumbling)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally decide to ask the question ...what's this "guest posting all the time?" that I can't see, and I find you lot were enjoying yourselves tremendously ages ago ...Selfish Bastards!😡

I mean it's ok for me to join in with the boring Political crap but have fun at Teebs using up emojis...NO ...that's a secret....Raymondo isn't fit to have such pleasure..well...:on_the_quiet:   I found it ...HA!

:sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I finally decide to ask the question ...what's this "guest posting all the time?" that I can't see, and I find you lot were enjoying yourselves tremendously ages ago ...Selfish Bastards!😡

I mean it's ok for me to join in with the boring Political crap but have fun at Teebs using up emojis...NO ...that's a secret....Raymondo isn't fit to have such pleasure..well...:on_the_quiet:   I found it ...HA!

:sun_bespectacled:

We've been rumbled, lads! Scarper!

• Haha 3

And the same from me. I just got a notification that a "guest" had posted on a thread I'm following, but there's nothing there to see.

Also, I know that thread derailing is what Basschat does best, but is it really appropriate on a technical issues post in the technical issues part of the forum?

3 hours ago, ped said:

I think the 'guest' post will become visible if said guest then registers their account, otherwise it doesn't show. We have a software update pending so maybe that'll fix it.

Can I not do away with the notifications?  They are of no use whatsoever if the comments are not shown also.

18 minutes ago, ped said:

Sorry I don’t follow

If the user receives the notification then they should be able to see the message which prompted the notification to be created. So, the choice would be notification + see Guest message; or no notification + unable to see Guest message.

• Thanks 1