Left leaderboard
NikNik

Ouch! £4K for that?

Some much wrong, here. Wrong tuner keys, bushings missing, that awful rout, the awful replacement nut, and the incorrect replacement TRC. No 'under the hood' or output sockets pix. Would put £20 on a P-bass route being up at the neck pup area, too. 

1970 4001

Edited by NikNik

Don't really know the values of properly old Ricks like this but £4K seems wildly OTT considering it's a borderline resto project.

To add to the list, replacement pickup (looks like a modern hi-gain or a copy) screwed directly into the wood at the bottom of the route looks dodgy, considering how thin the bodies of these are, and the scratchplate's a new-looking replacement - should be plexi like the original trc.

Fwiw I think the flat-key Grovers are legit - as far as I know these pre-date the more common wavy variety, and are a sight more rare. No idea where you'd get ferrules, though...

It is indeed wildly OTT given the state of it. I tried telling them but they wouldn’t have any of it. Complete and in decent nick the price would be about £4K, maybe a tad more. As it is, more like half what they want, if that.

The flat Grovers are indeed more rare; I’ve got them on my favoured ‘72 and have never seen any for sale separately, although I haven’t been looking too hard.

Edited by 4000

It’d be a nice project if you had the bits and it was less than half the price. 😉

5 minutes ago, 4000 said:

It’d be a nice project if you had the bits and it was less than half the price. 😉

Do you reckon the routing would be covered up by a standard pickup surround? Not quite - I reckon.

Edited by Ricky 4000

13 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Do you reckon the routing would be covered up by a standard pickup surround? Not quite - I reckon.

I’d fill in the worst of the routes and cover with a 60s style pickguard and treble pickup surround. Could refin but it’d be a shame to cover that Birdseye. 

• Like 1

Looking at how the intonation is set on the bridge, I’d guess it has been used as a lefty too, hence the nut crime, so look for a big screw hole in the lower horn to go with the other violations.

• Like 1

Dear me. I thought the classic car bubble had brought some right tat to the surface but this takes the cake. That said, in amongst the usual great selection of basses at The Gallery they have loads of naff old Fenders at wild prices too. 

• Like 1

“A few dings and scratches” ?  Possibly pushing their luck with the description.... 😊

Admittedly a later 1973 4003 model, but this is for sale at Norman’s Rare Guitars for 5k. Just for some perspective!

7EEA4391-1651-4E07-A412-6050DD76AA8A.jpeg

Don't care about Ricks, but the guy should've definitely asked £4001.

Ok, ok, I'll show myself the door xD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, akabane said:

Don't care about Ricks, but the guy should've definitely asked £40.01.

Ok, ok, I'll show myself the door xD 

FIFY. 👍

On 24/06/2019 at 00:14, Ade on Bass said:

“A few dings and scratches” ?  Possibly pushing their luck with the description.... 😊

Admittedly a later 1973 4003 model, but this is for sale at Norman’s Rare Guitars for 5k. Just for some perspective!

7EEA4391-1651-4E07-A412-6050DD76AA8A.jpeg

Apart from my ‘73 4000, I’ve never played a ‘73 that I’ve liked. 

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Apart from my ‘73 4000, I’ve never played a ‘73 that I’ve liked. 

I had a cracker: '73 cheq Fireglo. Another one released into the wild with no need for doing so.