Why become a member? ×

Ouch! £4K for that?

NikNik

Some much wrong, here. Wrong tuner keys, bushings missing, that awful rout, the awful replacement nut, and the incorrect replacement TRC. No 'under the hood' or output sockets pix. Would put £20 on a P-bass route being up at the neck pup area, too. 

1970 4001

Edited by NikNik

Don't really know the values of properly old Ricks like this but £4K seems wildly OTT considering it's a borderline resto project.

To add to the list, replacement pickup (looks like a modern hi-gain or a copy) screwed directly into the wood at the bottom of the route looks dodgy, considering how thin the bodies of these are, and the scratchplate's a new-looking replacement - should be plexi like the original trc.

Fwiw I think the flat-key Grovers are legit - as far as I know these pre-date the more common wavy variety, and are a sight more rare. No idea where you'd get ferrules, though...

It is indeed wildly OTT given the state of it. I tried telling them but they wouldn’t have any of it. Complete and in decent nick the price would be about £4K, maybe a tad more. As it is, more like half what they want, if that.

The flat Grovers are indeed more rare; I’ve got them on my favoured ‘72 and have never seen any for sale separately, although I haven’t been looking too hard.

Edited by 4000

5 minutes ago, 4000 said:

It’d be a nice project if you had the bits and it was less than half the price. 😉

Do you reckon the routing would be covered up by a standard pickup surround? Not quite - I reckon.

Edited by Ricky 4000

13 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Do you reckon the routing would be covered up by a standard pickup surround? Not quite - I reckon.

I’d fill in the worst of the routes and cover with a 60s style pickguard and treble pickup surround. Could refin but it’d be a shame to cover that Birdseye. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 00:14, Ade on Bass said:

“A few dings and scratches” ?  Possibly pushing their luck with the description.... 😊

Admittedly a later 1973 4003 model, but this is for sale at Norman’s Rare Guitars for 5k. Just for some perspective!

7EEA4391-1651-4E07-A412-6050DD76AA8A.jpeg

Apart from my ‘73 4000, I’ve never played a ‘73 that I’ve liked.