Why become a member? ×

Bartolini Pickups Into Rickenbacker - Need Help!

spongebob

Looking for some wiring inspiration here!

I recently bought a new Bartolini 6RT for the neck pickup of my Rickenbacker 4003S. It's a 2018 model, so has the vintage tone selector.

Picked up the bass from the Luthier yestoday. First impressions - loving the Bart. Maybe not to all tastes, but as a long-term Ricky player, I love it. It's like it's been turbo-charged - so much so, I'm going to have to order a 6RC for the bridge.

However, there is a problem. The vintage tone selector is for the bridge pup only, it's not for the neck. So a neck pup replacement shouldn't affect it, right?

Wrong! When the neck pup is solo'd, it as usual. Vintage tone knob up or down, no change. All good here.

Solo the bridge pup - vintage tone knob down, it's off - raise it, old-skool cap engaged. Once again, all good.

Put the toggle switch in the centre - both pups on together - here's where the problem lies. Having the vintage tone selector knob down (so it's off), it's suddenly on! Raise it, and it's off. Exactly the opposite to how it should be, but only with both pups on.

Can't work out why it works as usual for the bridge pup, but engage both together, and it goes opposite - especially when it was the 'unaffected' neck pup that was replaced.

Before I get the 6RC fitted, I'd rather go armed with more knowledge of what to tell the Luthier to assist him.

Any ideas here? I spoke to him on the 'phone, he was fairly foxed - so hence, I thought I'd turn to the BC experts for a solution!

• Confused 1

True! I think it was just the fact that it seems to have affected the vintage tone thing....

From memory, I had a standard Ricky neck pup rewound some years back, and the repairer had the same problem when he reinstalled it then as well (different luthier!) 

Just to add....seen a few diagrams online, but can't seem to find a definitive one to fit both pups, on models which feature the vintage tone selector. 

Be handy to find some kind of reference point to put him on the right track....sure it's a simple fix.....

Sorry no vintage tone selector on this, (unless that's what the 'Treble Tone (PIP)' switch is also called?), but I know it works! If that's any help 😊

Actually I think it might be!!!!!!

image.jpeg.08d74fd162c65e80a0668c2a1017ecfc.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I've been advised that it could be simple.....an out of phase issue. Going from 2 single coil pups to a single coil and a split coil.

Hopefully installing the dual coil humbucker bridge pup might even things out? They do advertise them as a pair, although available individually. 

Edited by spongebob