Why become a member? ×

NBD: MIJ Fender P Bass circa 1991/2

silverfoxnik

^^

Thanks! Yes, that 70s vibe ticks all the boxes for me and you're right, it really is well made.. I think the body is actually one piece of Ash as well which is something I particularly like.. 

Since posting this thread, I've now had this bass properly set up (fret dress, new strings etc) and it's playing beautifully; the intonation is spot on and the action is set at a nice comfortable medium height.

Mike Bosley (of Mike's Music in Bognor) did a great job on it for me and what's interesting is that he put a small shim in the neck pocket to rake the neck back a little so that the bridge saddles are set at their maximum height.

Apparently - so Mike tells me - this is how a lot of players liked their basses set up back in the day but its the first time I've ever had one of mine set up this way.

I like the fact that this set up provides a great break angle for the strings over the bridge and it does seem to make a difference..

Could just be of course that I still have that 'new bass syndrome' going on whereby everything about a newly acquired bass seems to be the best of any bass I've had ever had..

You know the thing, right - it's got the best sustain, best tone, best action, best balance blah, blah, blah.. and the ability to create world peace just from playing the opening riff to Stand By Me blah, blah, blah... 😁

But, blow me down with a feather, this one really does seem to 'sing' and the sustain and harmonics are amazing!

So, happy days. 😊

Mind you, having said all that (and knowing me), it'll probably be for sale on here in a few weeks time with the obligatory 'Up for sale is my beloved MIJ P Bass... ' opening line. 😁

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...