Why become a member? ×

Forward bending fretboard? Or a trick of the eye

Punkviking

Evening everyone,

Recently I changed my strings to a much thicker gauge 55/75/90/110 because frankly I didn't know what I was looking at, my low E string broke and it was my first time replacing bass strings so I thought yeah heavy guage that will be great I like to play heavy music *facepalm* besides that ive changed the strings and I originally noticed that the strings needed more tension to get them to E standard/Drop D tuning.

However I also noticed that the neck end of the fretboard seemed slightly raised so I adjusted the truss rod appropriately (tightened it) and then re tuned the strings but it still seems to have bent the neck of the guitar forward slightly and when I put my finger on the first fret and the fret that meets the middle of the guitar I find the action is higher in the middle then at each end or is it just my eyes?

IMG_20190621_171355.jpg

IMG_20190621_171159.jpg

IMG_20190621_171055.jpg

I've never worried about leaving it overnight, or seen it "settle" etc. Its hard to tell from the pics but it does seem as if you can drive a double decker bus under the action, might be worth making a big adjustment then checking. If you can get a tool that can do it with the strings on and tensioned, even better (you didn't mention what kind of bass it is or where the truss rod adjustment is).

Your string height is way too high and you will never get that out with a truss rod. 

Also you should not adjust the truss rod by eye. 

The order should be:

1. Relief-Truss rod.

2. String Height

3. Intonation

4. Leave overnight

5. Repeat steps 1-3.

6. Play.  

Firstly your need to adjust the truss  rod. Put a capo in front of the nut, behind the first fret. With your right hand fret the fret that is just above the start of the body. The gap between the bottom of the bottom e string and the top of the 8th fret should be about 0.3mm. It would be 0.35 on a long scale. If you don’t have a feeler gauge, a business card is about right. It should just about slide easily onset the string without moving the string. 

Remember that if you have to tighten the truss rod, loosen the strings first. If you have to loosen the truss rod, there is no need to loosen the strings although it may make it easier. Don’t forget to take the capo off when adjusting.

Once the truss rod is about right, adjust the string height with the bridge saddles. It should be 4/64” or just over 1.5mm on the bass side ( low e and a)  and about 3/64” or just under 1.5mm in the treble side(under d and g strings) both measured from the top of the 12th fret.  If you cannot get the saddles low enough you will need to install a neck shim.

Once the string height and relief are correct, adjust the intonation. 

You should then let the bass rest overnight and go through the process again the next day.