Why become a member? ×

Metallica / Twickenham

Patster1969

Did anybody go to the gig last night?  We were sat on the side in the top tier and the sound was absolutely dire - if anybody was there and in a different area on the stadium, would be interested to hear if the sound was any better. From where we were, the sound was boomy & muddy at the same time, so a lot of the James' vocals/inbetween song patter was incomprehensible, Kirk's guitar was hit & miss and you couldn't really hear Lar's snare (although probably not a bad thing) - I could actually hear it much clearer with my fingers in my ears, so next time I might take my rehearsal ear plugs.

My brother saw Maiden there a few years ago and even from the pitch, he said it was just as bad.

I was offered a free tkt from a friend of mine , who lives in London . Not living in Twickenham anymore I declined . Then there is the south worst train strike . 

I saw maiden at twix a few years ago . They played a blinder, but the sound was worse than dreadful .

i saw Metallica at the o2 a couple of years ago and I assume it's more or less the same set . 

I'm too old and unbothered about outdoor gigs now . I was thinking of seeing rammstein when they will probably play Twickenham or Wembley . Yes I know they have announced the Milton Keynes one for now , but this tour is gonna last till 2021 . Don't think I'll bother though and await the dvd from this tour . 

As for metallicorp , I think they've run out of ideas and have seen them at their peak . Another garage days album? 🙀

Just watched their Killers cover on youtube. Sound aside (just phone recording) I've not seen one of these 'local' covers that doesn't curl toes. 

Seeing them next month in Berlin on a lads beano, looking forward to the trip but reasonably low expectations for the gig.

I’ve been a lifelong Metallica fan, but recently heard bad things about their live performances, however I got a ticket right at the roof of the O2 last year on this tour and went to the gig with lowish expectations, but they were absolutely on fire, the sound was superb even way up in the rafters ( the stage was in the round so nearer than a standard set up) and they seemed to be loving playing. I’ve heard nothing but bad reports about sound for gigs at Twickenham, and also Wembley and London stadium recently ( mostly from people seated at the sides) , indeed an older friend of mine after seeing ACDC left after a few songs and vowed never to go to an outdoor arena show again.

My son made me go to see Ed Sheeran with him at Wembley stadium a few years back and his sound was good, but then hardly a complicated mix.....!!!!! ( and I actually really enjoyed it too)

18 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Depends what you're comparing it to 

To the OP, who was up high and off to the side. It's also apparently just a mobile phone doing the filming, which will have a very narrow frequency range by comparison to human ears.

👍🙂

Yes, I was opposite the stage, slightly offset from centre and on the bottom tier. It was shocking sound and I actually stopped watching and browsed eBay for most of it. I am a lifelong Metallica fan and that was the first time I'd seen them live, I was already getting worried from the sound during Bokassa and Ghost, really hoping it'd get better for Metallica, but it didn't.

I'd been waiting for that concert for years having missed them last time they toured, and to say I'm gutted is an understatement. They were brilliant, as was the show, but the sound ruined it. It was like having your favourite band, play all of your favourite songs, brilliantly, thought a tannoy system.

I'm now stewing and wishing I'd made more of an effort to try to enjoy it as I may never get to see them again.

Edited to add that I'm glad it wasn't just me and that reading OP's comments makes me feel less bad about sulking so much.

Edited by BCHLP

How it possible this is happening?

I'm guessing that people doing the sound for bands during stadium tours, must among the best in the world at what they do? 

That being the case they have the knowledge of sound issues in stadiums, and how to rectify the problems.

So is it that they just don't care?

Or is it that they`re using the new so-called improved technology and can`t make a silk purse from a sows ear? I recall seeing The Darkness in the NEC in about 2006 and the PA speakers were the stacked vertically type that we`re told is the only way sound can be. And the sound was awful. Have seen them in other venues with traditional PA stacks, big blocks of speakers and they sounded great. 

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

How it possible this is happening?

I'm guessing that people doing the sound for bands during stadium tours, must among the best in the world at what they do? 

That being the case they have the knowledge of sound issues in stadiums, and how to rectify the problems.

So is it that they just don't care?

They just don;t care? No, they just don't have the tools they used to have. It's all a massive commercial compromise (as is recording quality). Much more money to be made with lower touring (and recording) costs. The hype of lightweight and/or smaller speakers being better is just that, hype; they're just lighter and smaller. 

Didn't go to this one, but having seen Metallica at a lot of festivals over the last decade or so, they've always put on a great show (and I'm not a fan of anything they've recorded after And Justice)

Been to two gigs at Twickenham, both about a decade or so ago.  First Iron Maiden - had tickets on the pitch, sounded excellent. 

Then the Police, in the stand at the opposite end of the stadium. Again, the sound was brilliant, although we heard similar reports of it being less good if you were off to one side.  Main problem that night was Sting constantly trying to sing a different tune to the one that he'd recorded in the first place

On 22/06/2019 at 20:14, BCHLP said:

Yes, I was opposite the stage, slightly offset from centre and on the bottom tier. It was shocking sound and I actually stopped watching and browsed eBay for most of it. I am a lifelong Metallica fan and that was the first time I'd seen them live, I was already getting worried from the sound during Bokassa and Ghost, really hoping it'd get better for Metallica, but it didn't.

We were the same BC. My brother was hopeful, as he had seen them on a previous tour where the support band's sound wasn't great, as Metallica usually pulled it out of the bag soundwise.  Not to be unfortunately. I was doubly disappointed, as had been at Download the weekend before and they managed to get the sound right in varying positions across the field on both stages for pretty much all of the bands but the sound guys at Twickenham couldn't manage it - we were wondering if it was something to do with the roof and whether it was loudly vibrating

4 hours ago, DorsetBlue said:

My brother went to the Metallica gig in Manchester last week - complaints about the sound quality there too.

I had also heard that DB.  It does seem that there was pockets of areas where the sound was good and other pockets not at both gigs

I was at the back left corner in the middle section and the sound was poor. 

Thank goodness they let us download the performance. I did that yesterday and now I can hear everything!! I certainly couldn't on the night itself. 

I love Ghost, but only knew what they were singing because I already knew the songs. 

It is rather disappointing.