Why become a member? ×

String spacing

Baxlin

I’ve just picked up an 80s Korean Marlin Sidewinder from a charity shop, to use as a 'to hand' practice bass, and am pleasantly surprised. OK, it needed a good clean, and a bit of setting up, but I like it!

One thing though, I was amazed at the difference 2mm extra string spacing makes.  I'm used to having a 17mm string spacing bridge, this one has a 19mm.  No problem, just different.

Edited by Baxlin

I had an old Aria SB for many years but I was never happy with it and it wasn't until I started trying other basses that I worked out it was the narrow bridge spacing that was putting me off. When I tried a bass with a 19mm spaced bridge it was immediately comfortable.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Of course you can get used to anything, but I don't have to. 18mm - 19mm is my preference and all the basses I like seem to fall into this area.

This, I really struggle with anything below 18mm whereas 19mm requires no adjustments from me - I just play without thinking.

• Like 1

It always amazes me when I read comments about 1mm different string spacing making all the difference. Whilst I can appreciate that we all have different physiology, 1mm?

Having moved from a Streamer Stage 1 (20mm) to an Ibanez (16.5mm) I can just about tell there is a difference, and that’s only because they were both 6-strings, so combined gaps strings B-C end up with a total of 1.75cm, resulting in a visible difference. Two 4-strings with 1mm different spacing only adds up to a 3mm difference...

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

It always amazes me when I read comments about 1mm different string spacing making all the difference. Whilst I can appreciate that we all have different physiology, 1mm?

I can feel the difference, very much so.

Perhaps some folks can adapt more easily...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Having moved from a Streamer Stage 1 (20mm) to an Ibanez (16.5mm) I can just about tell there is a difference, and that’s only because they were both 6-strings, so combined gaps strings B-C end up with a total of 1.75cm, resulting in a visible difference. Two 4-strings with 1mm different spacing only adds up to a 3mm difference...

I play with a pick, and tend to rest my hand on the bridge. I can feel if the spacing if different. Its not that i cant play 20mm, i just chose not to. All my 4 sting basses have 19mm and thats how i like it.

• Like 1

I have found that I prefer a wider string spacing for my rather agricultural finger style playing, which I seem to be employing with increasing frequency.  With a pick I am happiest with 16mm but prefer 18 or 19mm when fitting my fat fingers in there.

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Plucking strings is a precision exercise. Some people become better players when they tie stuff like this down.

Like others have said i can play other spacing but i find i'm missing strings and don't play as accurately with my right hand finger style. I do get used to it reasonably quick but when going back to 18mm i have same issue so its easier keeping same 18mm spacing that i like.

Dave

• Like 1