Why become a member? ×

Gibson to sue Dean

bazzbass

From guitar.com:
After posting and then deleting a video threatening lawsuits against other instrument manufacturers, Gibson has followed through, suing Dean and Luna for copyright infringement-despite push-back from musicians.
From the video: “You have been warned, we’re looking out and we’re here to protect our iconic legacy.”
From Guitar.com News:
Among other allegations, Gibson is accusing Armadillo, which also owns drum maker Ddrum, of running afoul of seven of its trademarks. These include the body shape design of the Flying V, Explorer, ES and SG, as well as the ‘Dove Wing’ headstock design, the ‘Hummingbird’ name and the ‘Moderne’ trademark.
Gibson has not vigorously defended its trademark for some time so this might not go so well in court.

UPDATE: Armadillo Enterprises has responded to the news of the suit in a letter to the company’s dealers, strongly refuting the claims made in Gibson’s complaint.
Armadillo CEO Evan Rubinson describes the suit as “entirely baseless” and says, “we will vigorously defend ourselves and seek to cancel Gibson’s alleged trademark registrations” while also claiming that, “We respect and value the intellectual property rights of others. But… some things are just too common and basic for one company to claim as their own property.”

Personally, I've seen the Gibson 3+3 headstock on many many acoustic guitars made way before Gibson was around.
Last act of a sinking ship perhaps?

I have never ever considerred a Gibson bass, I've bought ten basses, no, eleven, in my lifetime. I doubt I even tried one, their pricing seems to be about double that of Fender so it wasn't even a thought in my mind, ever. No, wait, I did try a Tbird once, but it was an Epiphone lol. Hated it.

I do have an Epi LP, maybe Gibson will sue Epiphone too hehe

I found the T bird basses in line with US Fenders for pricing. Always quite liked the Grabber bass too but the tone just doesn't do it for me. Had an Epi T Bird but just not for me.

On saying that i would still like to have a Gibson T Bird just to say i've had one. I like the look of them.

Dave 

I always thought Dean were taking the mickey with their Dean V, especially the heavy marketing of the Michael Schenker models, a man famous for playing the Gibson version

But isn't this a bit late?  I thought that John Hall's furious reaction to any whiff of a Ricky copy was because the company has to be seen to do this in order to maintain their copyright on the designs, or else the Courts will view it that they knew about it, didn't make a fuss, and so have accepted that people can take their designs