Why become a member? ×

Help me pick a pickup set for my Jazz bass.

sirmuppet

Having tried Seymour Duncan, Emg, Lindy Fralin, Dimarzio etc, I would recommend Bare Knuckle. For Jazz basses, they make two versions - more vintage HF (heavy formvar) and more modern PE (plain enamel).

think Jaco for HF and Marcus Miller for PE.

Try the good old Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks, very balanced pickups and great set combination, and the basic Jazz Bass sound is still present, just fatter and hotter.

The Nordstrand Big J-Blade Warm & Wooly just stick to your description needs, if you like the look and ... price.

@Marcoelwray is an official retailer for Nordstrand pickups and also for Delano. Just ask him what would suit your needs. 😉

Guest Marcoelwray

I would go for a Delano JMVC HE set. Not expensive, growl, punch, articulation. In a more mid-character-oriented pickups the Delano Jazz tofferrite (times Square) are a good option but quite expensive IMHO. A good set of EMG JHZ does the job right on the spot and is really affordable (electronics included, no welding required) but it'll sound more cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2019 at 20:27, LITTLEWING said:

Wilkinsons. I chucked a pair in my Aria jazz copy for less than 30 credits and listening to the weekend's outdoor marquee gig on madam's iPhone their tone sounds HUGE!!!

i defy anyone to tell any difference in an expensive name set.

I bought a pair of Wilkinson's and put them into my Squier Jazz replacing the 'Duncan Designed' pickups after having the Jaco-type fretless jazz for a few years. They're a nice inexpensive choice, very balanced and round and with the tone knob up they punch through with a nice punk tone.

• Like 1

Ive had a set of Wizard 74's in my Jazz bass for years, but never really felt they were what i wanted. Just recently i put a set on Fender Custom Shop Custom '60s in it and this is the tone ive been looking for in a Jazz. It easily holds its own with my P bass now, and i too play with a pick so things can get a bit thin with the wrong pickups.

Not cheap, but worth it if they work for you.

• 2 months later...

I have set of Lindy Fralins in the bass shown in my profile picture. I have a set of Wilkinson pickups in an old Squier Jazz bass. The Lindy Fralins cost £150 for a set and the Wilkinsons £40. The Lindy Fralins sound great but the Wilkinsons sound excellent too. 

My point is, there's no need to break the bank to get a decent set of pickups.

• Like 1