Why become a member? ×

* SOLD * Spiro Mittels which *may* have been Ray Brown's
£100
London

I bought these from a well-known US guy on TalkBass who is always sourcing old and NOS strings. They came with a signed note from 1980 which to all intents and purposes appears to be hand written by Ray Brown (initialled RB and writing and signature appears similar to another signature of his I  found on a Google search). The strings are in good condition except the peg-end D string silk (commonly for a Spiro) is a bit tatty.

Although the paper sleeves say Weich the tension feels very Mittel to me and the peg-end silks are red like Mittels. 

So these *may* have been on Ray Brown's bass over 1979/80 but I cannot be certain.

Anyhow, how does £100 posted sound? Thats a lot cheaper than a new set of Mittels and you can persuade yourself you are being sprinkled by the great Ray's fairy dust as you play them!

20190620_145759.jpg

20190620_145751.jpg

20190620_145818.jpg

Edited by Clarky

• 1 month later...

I’m no calligraphy expert but as Clarky says, irrespective of pedigeee and age of manufacturing, you get a gently broken in of Spiros for a decent price. In terms of longevity and strength I’m pretty sure a couple of sets of Spiros would be all you need for a suspension bridge on a motorway. And the sound, well, Ray Brown: say no more. I’m tempted myself Clarky! 

Edited by Rabbie
Typo
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rabbie said:

I’m no calligraphy expert but as Clarky says, irrespective of pedigeee and age of manufacturing, you get a gently broken in of Spiros for a decent price. In terms of longevity and strength I’m pretty sure a couple of sets of Spiros would be all you need for a suspension bridge on a motorway. And the sound, well, Ray Brown: say no more. I’m tempted myself Clarky! 

Thanks Rabbie - and who could argue with a man whose latest musical offering has been lauded by none less than DB super-icon Danny Thompson?!!!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clarky said:

Thanks Rabbie - and who could argue with a man whose latest musical offering has been lauded by none less than DB super-icon Danny Thompson?!!!!

Haha yes that made me very happy, but are you just buttering me up so I buy yet another set of broken in Spiros?

If anyone would like this *possibly/maybe Ray Brown* Spiro 3/4 Mittels plus my assembled set of 4/4 Mittels and a gut like Presto nylon ultralight G as a bundle, I would take £130 including UK post as I am trying to declutter