Why become a member? ×

Adjustable Bridge for Precision?

There's been a few comments on here about bridge/neck misalignment issues and occasional poor manufacturer QA in general. I must've been lucky over the years because I've never really run into this kind of problem (not that I've ever really looked for nor noticed it). However, I recently bought a MIM Precision as a back up instrument and one of the first things I noticed was that the bridge seems to be slightly offset, pushing the strings towards the treble side of the fingerboard. The reason I didn't return it immediately is because it plays and intonates perfectly, holds its tune and I've never had issues with the G string slipping off the fingerboard while playing. And I thought that maybe this kind of thing was normal for Fenders.

But what has once been seen cannot be unseen, especially for someone as OCD-afflicted as me. Can anyone recommend a drop-in replacement bridge for a recent MIM Precision that allows alignment/string spacing adjustment (I think Schaller used to make one but it seems to be unavailable).

Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, FatDrunkStupid said:

There's been a few comments on here about bridge/neck misalignment issues and occasional poor manufacturer QA in general. I must've been lucky over the years because I've never really run into this kind of problem (not that I've ever really looked for nor noticed it). However, I recently bought a MIM Precision as a back up instrument and one of the first things I noticed was that the bridge seems to be slightly offset, pushing the strings towards the treble side of the fingerboard. The reason I didn't return it immediately is because it plays and intonates perfectly, holds its tune and I've never had issues with the G string slipping off the fingerboard while playing. And I thought that maybe this kind of thing was normal for Fenders.

But what has once been seen cannot be unseen, especially for someone as OCD-afflicted as me. Can anyone recommend a drop-in replacement bridge for a recent MIM Precision that allows alignment/string spacing adjustment (I think Schaller used to make one but it seems to be unavailable).

Many thanks!

If it intonates perfectly, and the string alignment doesn't bother you, then the best solution would be to put a bridge cover over it.

As the bridge is misaligned, then there is no drop in replacement. If it's slightly off as you say, then moving the bridge over, even half a mm will increase the size of the screw holes, meaning the screws won't hold the bridge solid. You will need to fill the holes and drill new ones with new bridge or existing one, which is a pain in the a***.

3 hours ago, FatDrunkStupid said:

Thanks all. For some reason it never occurred to me to use threaded/multislot saddles. That's definitely the way to go.

I think you just buy the saddles which would definitely be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

On 20/06/2019 at 15:39, Chienmortbb said:

Before you do any thing, check the neck with the neck bolts loosened. Then see whether there is enough play to realign the neck. I had the same problem and had enough play to get the strings aligned. 

On 20/06/2019 at 19:04, gjones said:

It may not be the bridge. Sometimes you just need to loosen the neck, adjust it so that the G string is no longer too near the edge of the fingerboard, and then re-tighten it.

On 20/06/2019 at 22:20, Bassalarky said:

I'll second (or third!) that it could be worth loosening the neck bolts and shifting the neck. Worked a treat on my MIJ precision.

Yep - Done this on a few Basses.  I also suffer from OCD flare-ups when it comes to string alignment..

8 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Yep - Done this on a few Basses.  I also suffer from OCD flare-ups when it comes to string alignment..

Its OK to be OCD about string alignment along the neck but it does not matter if tye strings are not exactly in line with, or exactly between, the pole pieces on the pick-ups.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Its OK to be OCD about string alignment along the neck but it does not matter if tye strings are not exactly in line with, or exactly between, the pole pieces on the pick-ups.

Yep - but it helps (OCD-wise) if they're aligned on both! xD