Why become a member? ×

Trade value higher than sale value. I don't grasp the concept.

Bobby D

Trade value higher than sale value. I don't grasp the concept.

Seen this a fair few times recently on basses for sale here and I really don't understand the reasoning behind it. If, for example, a bass is advertised for sale at a grand why is the trade value 20% more? The most obvious flaw is that logic dictates that the bass being traded for it get's a 20% boost in trade value in return.... and the end result is a zero-sum game. 

The only purpose I can see it has is to show an unwillingness to trade. So don't offer trades in that case. It's perfectly fine to just want a straight sale. Creating alternative prices/values for different scenarios is a nonsense to my mind.

Edited by Bobby D

Just now, oldslapper said:

Perhaps viewing it as

the advertised trade value being the true value, and it’s less for cash, might help the dissonance you feel? 

True value is surely subjective. I've got no problem with the idea of something being discounted for cash. Only if the cash price represents a discount. Doesn't work if the cash price is top dollar and then a stated trade value is even higher.

I know value is subjective and you can ask what you like but recently a bass came up I would of been interested to trade , mine I  considered to be the same value ( the market would too) and was exactly what they were saying they'd trade for but they the had the afore mentioned different values , best part of 20%  . I didn't bother messaging them because of it

• Like 1

Eh? You’ve lost me....

You saw a bass for trade with an advertised trade price roughly 20% higher than the market value for the bass you wanted to offer, so you didn’t message the seller? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Makes perfect sense to me to make the cash sale lower than the trade value, after all, if you have a bass you want to trade and they’re in the same ballpark according to the market, that’s what negotiation is for :)

3 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

They had a sale price which I thought was about right but they had higher price for it if it was in a trade which didn't make sense to me

I sort of get what you are saying, maybe the seller didn't really want to trade and would have preferred a cash sale but thought rather than just sit on it (as times are hard cash wise for many at the moment) maybe a trade would be considered, personally I would have offered up the bass you wanted to trade and see what the seller came back with, if you felt the offer didn't represent a fair trade you negotiate or walk away?

Just now, Roger2611 said:

I sort of get what you are saying, maybe the seller didn't really want to trade and would have preferred a cash sale but thought rather than just sit on it (as times are hard cash wise for many at the moment) maybe a trade would be considered, personally I would have offered up the bass you wanted to trade and see what the seller came back with, if you felt the offer didn't represent a fair trade you negotiate or walk away?

Yeah I agree I would normally of entered into negotiation but I just thought it was a bit odd 

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Eh? You’ve lost me....

You saw a bass for trade with an advertised trade price roughly 20% higher than the market value for the bass you wanted to offer, so you didn’t message the seller? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Makes perfect sense to me to make the cash sale lower than the trade value, after all, if you have a bass you want to trade and they’re in the same ballpark according to the market, that’s what negotiation is for :)

But isn't that assuming the cash price is firm and the trade value is negotiable

The value is the value. It’s one figure.

There may be negotiation regarding the exchange i.e. the cash on top.

But x is worth x and y is worth y. 

X is not worth x(plus) because y is y

Edited by Bobby D
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spencer.b said:

I know value is subjective and you can ask what you like but recently a bass came up I would of been interested to trade , mine I  considered to be the same value ( the market would too) and was exactly what they were saying they'd trade for but they the had the afore mentioned different values , best part of 20%  . I didn't bother messaging them because of it

I can't see any harm in messaging them and offering a straight swap. If they say yes, you're both happy. If not, you haven't lost anything.