Why become a member? ×

New Fender range - "Vintera"

TransistorBassMan

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I like the gold jazz...white pickguard and it’s sort of a Norman Watt Roy signature...

59 years and they've managed to come up with a different colour scheme. That really is my dream job.

I can't wait for the Fender marketing videos of lots insta-famous teenagers walking through the woods and/or city centres with the bass hanging over the shoulder without a case, never actually playing the bass, but instead providing a bunch of nauseating marketing speak such such as: 

'I love the snap and zing of the finish'

'you know, it feels old, but it also kinda feels new?'

'it is so versatile, I can play it with my fingers or with a pick'

'for me, bass is the foundation of music, and the Fender Precision is the foundation of bass'

I like the look of the seventies Jazz because it looks like a Fendeer Jazz bass and I like Fender Jazz basses.

• Like 5

I so despair at Fender and I love them, its all I play but why oh why do they not do anything different or exciting. If this was me, I would be releasing the following,

An American Vintage 51 Precision in some nice retro pastel colours

An American Vintage Stack Knob 60's Jazz

A Mexican or Japanese FSR unlined fretless Vintage 70's Precision in natural with maple board

A Mexican or Japanese FSR Vintage 70's Telecaster bass

An unlined fretless modern Precision with rosewood board.

An unlined fretless modern Jazz with rosewood board

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I so despair at Fender and I love them, its all I play but why oh why do they not do anything different or exciting.

They did, and it didn't work (Fender Performer). (Maybe I might also mention the Dimension.......or is it too controversial to say it wasn't successful either?)

In a world of change, sometimes its comforting to find something which doesn't.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

They did, and it didn't work (Fender Performer). (Maybe I might also mention the Dimension.......or is it too controversial to say it wasn't successful either?)

I've always thought it a shame that they didn't continue the Blacktop range - presumably these didn't sell especially well as I've only met one person who owned one! - but at least the Blacktop basses offered some new pickup configurations that Fender hadn't really offered previously. So not radically different, but more different/less cynical than a different list of colour combinations.

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

In a world of change, sometimes its comforting to find something which doesn't.

The newer Dimension was a killer bass. Beautiful compound radius, oiled neck, great weight and balance, 18v active electronics,  dual humbuckers.   They tried.  We didn't buy them because they weren't 'Fender enough'.   We don't actually want Fender to do anything other than what they are currently doing, it seems. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, itu said:

SI wish they did something serious like a competitor to Sadowsky or Suhr or something revolutionary. But no, this brand stands behind its true nature: two main products, a steep price, and varying quality.

They do! It's called Custom Shop/Masterbuilt.

Every time they introduce something "revolutionary" it doesn't sell. So they stop making it.

Fender is a business and have to sell product. They keep making Precision and Jazz basses because that's what most bass players want to buy from them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 40hz said:

I love Fender but honestly, what's new here?  Zzzzz . . . . 

They need to sell more instruments in a shrinking market. Post Chapter 11 Fender are supposedly addressing the problems that brought them to their knees. They have to differentiate the ranges to try to get over the indifferent QC that old Fender thought we would accapt.

What's new is a new name for a relaunched product that should be of higher quality of manufacture. If it isn't then we can say good-bye to Fender.

Fender’s target audience just won’t go for new designs, so you can hardly blame them. They seem to do all right.

On a side note, I have a pet theory that it was the pickguard that sank the Dimension, but maybe that’s just me.

I think what did it for the Dimension was the existence of  Music Man and of course its association with Leo Fender at the time. If you're going to go for something a bit more modern with humbuckers (and active pickups) then the Music Man is seen to be "the one to have" and the Dimension is a bit of a take on it. These days, why not just buy an actual Music Man, or a SUB. The Stingray has probably been as successful as it deserved to be (rightly).