Why become a member? ×

Sam Li 60s and 70s

Mark E

Nice to meet you, everyone. I'm researching the guitar maker/ repairer Sam Li who was around Gerrard Street in the late 60s and early 70s -- then later in Hampstead. I saw a mention of him dating back ten years ago on here. Just wondered if the person who knew him is still around?

On 19/06/2019 at 20:16, Mark E said:

Nice to meet you, everyone. I'm researching the guitar maker/ repairer Sam Li who was around Gerrard Street in the late 60s and early 70s -- then later in Hampstead. I saw a mention of him dating back ten years ago on here. Just wondered if the person who knew him is still around?

Was it this thread: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/34334-the-old-west-end/

You can tag people by putting an 'at' sign in front of their username.Like this:   @Stingray5

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Was it this thread: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/34334-the-old-west-end/

You can tag people by putting an 'at' sign in front of their username.Like this:   @Stingray5

Oh my, I'd forgotten about that thread. Thanks, I just read through the whole thing (thankfully just 2 pages! ;) )

@Mark E Re your question about Sam Li, I can't say I knew him all that well but, as I mentioned in the above thread, I used to run into him occasionally in the Sound City/Music City stores on Shaftesbury Avenue where he did a complete re-finish for me on a tobacco sunburst Gibson EB2-D bass. A very nice man, as I recall. :)

Edited by Stingray5

1 hour ago, visog said:

I could be quite wrong but haven't I heard Sam Li's name in connection with Yes and Steve Howe?

Quite right! Sam Li worked on a number of Steve Howe's guitars, both electric and acoustic.

6 hours ago, Mark E said:

thanks for this @skankdelvar -- who is Tony Goggle?

Tony Goggle is a bass player of almost mythical status who for unaccountable reasons is a name familiar only to members of BassChat. The facts of Mr Goggle's life emerge on an intermittent basis and in no chronological order.

Over the years fellow Goggle fans @Rich @ped  @Kiwi and I have attempted with scant success to separate truth from rumour. About the only thing everyone agrees on is that Goggle's career peaked when in 1970 he formed the short-lived 'experimental' power trio Slack Mattress.

Goggle's egregious tactlessness, his unconfined sexual drive and his monstrous appetite for recreational narcotics and strong liquor established the paradigm for rock musicians past and (not so much) present. 

Some of us believe that Mr Goggle should enjoy wider fame but he has never given an interview we can find nor has he been photographed. Recent reports suggest that Mr Goggle is currently in hiding, this in response to the tragic events surrounding 'The Ten Million Watt Comeback Gig' at Devizes Corn Exchange earlier this year.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 4

On 24/06/2019 at 23:30, skankdelvar said:

Tony Goggle is a bass player of almost mythical status who for unaccountable reasons is a name familiar only to members of BassChat. The facts of Mr Goggle's life emerge on an intermittent basis and in no chronological order.

Over the years fellow Goggle fans @Rich @ped  @Kiwi and I have attempted with scant success to separate truth from rumour. About the only thing everyone agrees on is that Goggle's career peaked when in 1970 he formed the short-lived 'experimental' power trio Slack Mattress.

Goggle's egregious tactlessness, his unconfined sexual drive and his monstrous appetite for recreational narcotics and strong liquor established the paradigm for rock musicians past and (not so much) present. 

Some of us believe that Mr Goggle should enjoy wider fame but he has never given an interview we can find nor has he been photographed. Recent reports suggest that Mr Goggle is currently in hiding, this in response to the tragic events surrounding 'The Ten Million Watt Comeback Gig' at Devizes Corn Exchange earlier this year.

The man is an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery, wrapped up in a roll your own.  Never one to shy away from delivering 130% in all aspects of his life, his views on instruments and backline in particular were legendary.  His lifestyle was completely free of anything we might normally recognise as restraint.  He was the original inspiration for Geddy Lee's washing machine backline after one of the band's stage trucks broke down on the way to a sell out gig at Golddiggers in Chippenham in 1982.  A Tyrrell and Green had opened just down the road so Tony, in his characteristically down to earth style, replaced his missing backline with a selection of household appliances of approximately the same size and DI'd straight into a PA fold back using his Jaydee Tony Goggle signature with three stage gain preamp.  Another fact worth noting was that his signature bass featured an integrated bottle holder.  Unfortunately though it was attached to the headstock and any spirits rarely stayed in the bottle for long once the performance had started.  But what Tony wanted, Tony got.

• Like 2

I managed to find this picture of his Jaydee signature bass.  After undergoing a third liver transplant, he went back to using his trusty 1 stringed signature Fender.  He claimed he didn't have the patience for multi stringed instruments any more.

Jaydee Tony Goggle signature.jpg

Yes!  And here's the backstory as to how the bass got it's name.  It's a little known fact but all those controls were master volumes.  According to the Tour Manager, Tam McTavish, one soundcheck lasted two and a half days after one of the stage hands inadvertently turned down a control on the bass as they were setting up the stage.  Tony struggled to work out which one it was and eventually admitted defeat.  At risk of date cancellations later in the tour Polly, the band's wardrobe assistant, eventually suggested he turn them all up just to see what happened.  Thus...the tour was snatched from the jaws of defeat!   

It's a wonderful story, really brings a tear to the eye.

51 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Polly, the band's wardrobe assistant

toynbeel.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=f

Ah, yes, poor dear Polly. Full of life, a laugh like champagne on a summer's afternoon and a twinkling eye for the tour electricians. Terrible what happened to her.

'Accidentally' snorked some of Tony's ketamine stash and passed out on the dressing floor, her face pressed against a discarded copy of The Guardian. First thing she saw when she came round was an Alan Rusbridger think-piece on social equity and she became a completely different person. 

• Like 1

Yes, I believe she decided to mark the moment of her epiphany by having the newsprint mirror image remaining on the right side of her face permanently tattooed for posterity.  Special K is a cruel master although some speculate that it wasn't just ketamine but a custom blend that included datura.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The man is an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery, wrapped up in a roll your own.  Never one to shy away from delivering 130% in all aspects of his life, his views on instruments and backline in particular were legendary.  His lifestyle was completely free of anything we might normally recognise as restraint.  He was the original inspiration for Geddy Lee's washing machine backline after one of the band's stage trucks broke down on the way to a sell out gig at Golddiggers in Chippenham in 1982.  A Tyrrell and Green had opened just down the road so Tony, in his characteristically down to earth style, replaced his missing backline with a selection of household appliances of approximately the same size and DI'd straight into a PA fold back using his Jaydee Tony Goggle signature with three stage gain preamp.  Another fact worth noting was that his signature bass featured an integrated bottle holder.  Unfortunately though it was attached to the headstock and any spirits rarely stayed in the bottle for long once the performance had started.  But what Tony wanted, Tony got.

Surprised he didn't catch on with the rotisseries, too.

You guys ought to write a book!