Why become a member? ×

Any hotspots in Canterbury?

Mickeyboro

Off for a long weekend to celebrate Mrs Boro’s birthday.

Any recommendations as to where music, food etc may be partaken would be very much appreciated! So far we have Tears for Fears playing at a cricket ground, which doesn’t bowl the maiden over... so stumped!

Thank you.

Neaby there is the cricketers too that usually has music.

although not the best decor, poppy’s Italian is usually good food and also a Lebanese (?) next door which has nice food. Both just off the high st near westgate 

• Like 1

Many, many, many years ago I had a mother in law that lived near Sturry. We often ended up dragging ourselves into a pub called The George and Dragon next to the river. It can get busy and there was entertainment to be had watching idiots in boats, plus being eaten alive by bugs in the evening, a good time was had by all!!

It's probably been rebuilt as flats now.

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'll see if any of my lot are gigging, what sort of music do you like?

Food-wise, there's a lot of choice, again will depend what you're after really?

We are both in our second childhood Chris, so anything old and/or rootsy tends to float our boat. 

Ironically given some of the kind recommendations above we eat much anything bar pizza and pasta!

Oh, and if you’re selling any basses let me know and i’ll stop by 😂 

No one I know is gigging here, I have no basses for sale, and being at a certain stage in life rarely eat out (kids eat all of my money), I have to concede I can't be much help mate. Given the TfF event, Canterbury will be bustling with the sort of people who liked TfF back in the day, i.e., a bunch of middle-aged middle-class urbanites wearing clothes they shouldn't even have worn in '83 let alone now.

Which reminds me: I used to play in a nice little bluegrass outfit, sort of thing that wouldn't offend anyone on a late summer Sunday afternoon down the Dog & Duck but which also allowed the aficionados to nod approvingly. We were booked to do a Friday night at a pub opposite the cricket ground. We didn't do our due diligence, and walked in to find a pub quite literally rammed with 55 year old skinheads - DMs, Harringtons, jeans rolled up to just below the knees, a certain 'atmosphere if you get my meaning. They had flocked to Canterbury that night to see Madness. So there's me and my three bluegrass buddies facing 200+ whizzed skinheads. IIRC we played four songs and did a runner; the landlord however was kind enough to pay us for the full set. So these days I tend to stay out of town when the big gigs are on, although I doubt the TfF bunch will cause too much aggro :)  

Have a great time mate

C

Having said the above, there are rumours of live music at The Old City Bar tomorrow https://www.oldcitybar.co.uk/whats. Personally, that's about 2 miles too close to TfF for me, so I'd be looking to fill up on some decent Turkish at Al La Turka (Westgate, there's two of them) http://www.ala-turka.co.uk/westgate.php followed by a few pints of Bishops Finger in the pub of the same name next door https://www.bishopsfingercanterbury.co.uk/. It's my birthday tomorrow and Mrs Beedster is taking me for a quiet drink somewhere, or I'd join you!

Have a good one, my friend and BC legend. And thanks for the gen.

Had I bought a bass from you, I’d have to make out it was a present for the missus. Last time I tried that was a Telecaster from @bobpalt which ended up being sold to fund a video camera... Wives and musical gear do not mix!!!😥

As a final wrap to this thread, we could not find any live music on the Saturday night at all. That said, there was plenty of goings-on in the street, most of which I cannot repeat for fear of offending decency...

Sunday was a ska/punk all dayer at the Lady Luck which we observed from outside ... ‘‘twas heaving. Then went to the Turkish restaurant which lived up to recommendation. The Bishops Finger was ok, despite the dreaded big screen football.

Monday night, after seafood at Chapmans, the Black Griffin advertised live music. It was a blues band called Blue Onions who were captained by an ex Basschat member. (The Barefaced/Marusczyk combination was a dead giveaway.) He didn’t give his name, sadly, but his band were better than  average and rounded off our long weekend well.

Thanks again to those who contributed to this thread.