Why become a member? ×

N.B.D. Payson Supercharger PJ

bassmayhem

48084837943_e106cb5a71_k.jpg
Some words after a day with the new bass, the Payson Supercharger PJ...

48084838013_59ffdf1e23_k.jpg
Those hidden fret tangs are very, very... smooth. 

This is the first bass ever I didn't have to do a setup on, other than lower the bridge pickup's treble side a tad. It was almost completely in tune after the trip over the Atlantic.
Perfect action, neck relief, intonation! I want the neck to be as straight as possible: it was! I want the saddle to be just a tiny little bit higher than the frets: it was! (Why should it be any other way?)
The outer strings line perfect along the edge of the neck, with enough margin, no more, no less. That makes a very comfortable neck that ain't too big.
No dead spots! No string buzz, unless I dig in and really make it buzz. Comfortable asymmetrical shape of the neck, nice width at the nut!

48007979137_5d22a981f2_h.jpg
No big ugly Mickey Mouse ears, but smooth "mini mouse" ears that match the somewhat smaller but very sturdy headstock. It is designed not to be broken when you club an ox...

The body shape feels familiar and place the bass in the right position. Maybe the belly cut could have been a bit more generous for seasoned and mature players, but that's no big deal. ;) 
Big, chunky knobs made for walk... sorry, grabbing and twisting! They could even have been a tad bigger with that old bakelite phone feel...

The tone, then...
Big, full, clean, whatever you play comes out. My wife said yesterday evening, that it sounds like a classical instrument in the way it responds to touch. She is a seasoned piano player with a good ear.

48084837868_6e48a4f829_k.jpg
Want J-bass? Got it! Want P-bass? Got it! Want BASS? H*ll yeah! That low B really fills the room, clear and articulate.
This is no Ferrari or Lamborghini; more of a Subaru: poent, comtetent and gets the job done

I got some other basses for sale now... 

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 10

17 hours ago, therealting said:

I’ve been curious about those for a while, would be very interested in comparing one to my Super P.

I got a super J5 but no P5...
This one does both, but has the longer 37" scale that I prefer. The longer scale makes difference, a difference that appeals to me. My SJ4, SJ5 and SP4 will be up for sale after Midsummer holiday. I keep my 37" Dingwall, though.

Need to clean out the closet a bit. I tend to grab one bass most of the time, my SJ5, and as second my SP4 for our Elvis shows, but this one will do both. My SJ4 is more or less a wall warmer now, when I have my old '78 Fender Jazz in playable condition. That is the bass to measure all others against, the one that follows me to a deserted island...

Understand me correctly, the Super p and J's are super nice and fantastic instruments, BMW and Mercedes, kind of, the Payson is Subaru. But my preferences say 37", and PJ, that fills all the holes...

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bassmayhem said:

I got a super J5 but no P5...
This one does both, but has the longer 37" scale that I prefer. The longer scale makes difference, a difference that appeals to me. My SJ4, SJ5 and SP4 will be up for sale after Midsummer holiday. I keep my 37" Dingwall, though.

Need to clean out the closet a bit. I tend to grab one bass most of the time, my SJ5, and as second my SP4 for our Elvis shows, but this one will do both. My SJ4 is more or less a wall warmer now, when I have my old '78 Fender Jazz in playable condition. That is the bass to measure all others against, the one that follows me to a deserted island...

Understand me correctly, the Super p and J's are super nice and fantastic instruments, BMW and Mercedes, kind of, the Payson is Subaru. But my preferences say 37", and PJ, that fills all the holes...

Ah, I went the other way, started with a Combustion and found I am much more at home on Super scale, had a matching pair of Super J and Super P until the J got stolen in a burglary.

35 minutes ago, therealting said:

Ah, I went the other way, started with a Combustion and found I am much more at home on Super scale, had a matching pair of Super J and Super P until the J got stolen in a burglary.

Well, then you can have a glance at my Super J's...
I think I make the ads today...