Why become a member? ×

Have you ever...

SH73

I tend not to go in and browse unless I'm specifically looking to buy a new bass.  And I tend not to go to a shop unless I know that it'll have the bass that I'm interested in trying. So if I'm in the shop to get strings/whatever then I'll just go in and buy them, maybe a quick bit of window shopping around the bass selection, but I won't ask for a go on any of them

Partly it's to resist temptation, but probably more that I don't want to waste the shops time by having a free go on their stuff when I have no intention of buying

22 hours ago, SH73 said:

been to a music instruments shop and not tried out anything?

Yep, only today was the most recent occasion.

Went into The Music Gallery in Berwick, they had some nice Markbass combo amps, a small Vox, a Fender Jazz, a Squier Jazz (not as nice as mine), a couple of Rickenbackers & some other miscellaneous basses.

Warned Mrs Teebs about the dangers of sharp edges on Rickys, didn't try anything, and left. In fairness, it was a nice shop. :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I spend the evening before the visit rehearsing exactly what I'm gunna do.

It may not seem like it, but every last thing is choreographed, from the tuning up - to the harmonics - to the seamlessly dropping into a bassline from (what would appear to be), an aimless noodle... even the moments of eye contact and conversation are planned and rehearsed to perfection... it's like a Superbowl half-time show.

You didn't mention planning the outfit! :o

Amateur! :on_the_quiet:

You should've added:

Check that gold lamé catsuit is dry cleaned from its last outing to a guitar shop;

Try outfit on to check if alterations are required;

Polish rhinestone studded belt;

Practice stage moves in platform boots (also rhinestone studded);

Check sufficient supply of autographed promo pictures for 'impromptu' handing out;

Book into studio for hair, makeup & depilation.

This is how you prepare, young Ricky! :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Teebs said:

This is how you prepare, young Ricky! :D

Fu*king chancer.

You haven't even considered the right car to rent or borrow (1970s Ford Mustang Boss 302, in Daytona Yellow).

Or how you're going to park it (on the pavement).

😃

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Fu*king chancer.

You haven't even considered the right car to rent or borrow (1970s Ford Mustang Boss 302, in Daytona Yellow).

😃

Very true (f*cking chancer comment aside!) 👍

These things aren't just thrown together!

Also to consider is what rider to ask for. :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

You haven't even considered the right car to rent or borrow (1970s Ford Mustang Boss 302, in Daytona Yellow)

😃

Well, that's already covered! I merely select one from 'the stable' :D

11 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

😃

Through the shop window! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Teebs said:

Very true (f*cking chancer comment aside!) 👍

These things aren't just thrown together!

Also to consider is what rider to ask for. :D

Good point - M&Ms with the green ones removed.

They absolutely ****ing love me at the music shop in the next village. Mind you, I've only been there the once (so far).

👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Only if I'm looking to buy. I've got a couple of mates who work in music shops, and it really boils their p!55 when people mess them around.

I’m sure it does and rightly so - but it works both ways. I’ve come across a lot of very helpful, friendly and informative staff in music shops - but also above the national average of condescending ar$es.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Sozzy. 😔

No worries! 👍

I was actually so impressed with your prep work for trying out shop basses, and the comments from the staff in  your music shop when I asked after you, and your work with reggae on a jazz bass, I've entered you in this:

_20190619_175008_1560963152964.jpg

It's okay, you needn't thank me! 👌

:D

Edited by Teebs
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, odysseus said:

Only if I'm looking to buy. I've got a couple of mates who work in music shops, and it really boils their p!55 when people mess them around.

Hmm, the last times I've played in a music shop...

Once I took in my own bass because I wanted to try out some practice amps (and bought one).

Once I wanted to try a used bass, and bought it (ok I'd decided to buy before I tried it...)

Once I was invited to try a very expensive one for the fun of it and ended up leaving with a Squier...

Twice (two different shops) I bought a pedal and was invited to try various things.

Once I asked to try a guitar stating I was just curious about it. Then they told me the price and I accidentally bought it.

Once I went in for a lead and they persuaded me to try an EUB, but I gave up after about two minutes.

Once I bought a mandolin case and got invited to try a Hofner.

Went in with my brother and his wife, he was buying her a guitar and we all got involved in various tryings out.

Buying a tiny blackstar amp, just wanting something to see what it could do.

Went in to kill some time, got into a conversation about lovely Masterbilt epihones and got invited to try despite saying way outside my budget.

Thinking about it, a common thread is engaging with the staff rather than just saying 'can I try x'.

A second one is I shouldn't try out things I'm not expecting to buy.,..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

No worries! 👍

I was actually so impressed with your prep work for trying out shop basses, and the comments from the staff in your music shop when I asked after you, and your work with reggae on a jazz bass, I've entered you in this:

:D

They were only nice about me because I bought a bass. Though to be fair, I did play pretty well (although I'm even better now). 😃

Unlike the previous shop I went in, when I'd rehearsed an Aston "Family Man" Barrett medley... that was a car-crash and a half... I told you a Jazz bass is no good for reggae. 😑

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

They were only nice about me because I bought a bass. Though to be fair, I did play pretty well (although I'm even better now). 😃

Unlike the previous shop I went in, when I'd rehearsed an Aston "Family Man" Barrett medley... that was a car-crash and a half... I told you a Jazz bass is no good for reggae. 😑

Ricky, I was only kidding you! :D

I saw the article in Bass Magazine & the very prospect filled me with fear! 😱

I didn't enter either of us 👍

I entered FinHombré instead :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I rarely go to a guitar shop, but when I do, I spend the evening before the visit rehearsing exactly what I'm gunna do.

It may not seem like it, but every last thing is choreographed, from the tuning up - to the harmonics - to the seamlessly dropping into a bassline from (what would appear to be), an aimless noodle... even the moments of eye contact and conversation are planned and rehearsed to perfection... it's like a Superbowl half-time show.

Sometimes it goes well, sometimes there's a problem, sometimes I don't try a guitar so nothing happens.

When I'm at home I jam to drum backing tracks bass or guitar. When was in the the shop I paused for a second thinking. If I try something, what would  I play? Total emptiness

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:
  • Jazz bass (cheap knock-off, but that's OK) - Check
  • Ampeg - Check
  • Minimum 15" speaker - Check
  • Massive Talent - Check
  • Fat fingers - Check
  • Strings (flats) - Check... but! Aston uses the fat ones out of a set of five! That must be it!!

😃

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SH73 said:

When I'm at home I jam to drum backing tracks bass or guitar. When was in the the shop I paused for a second thinking. If I try something, what would  I play? Total emptiness

Terrible, isn't it?

Then you dredge up some simple yet crappy bassline that you half-remember from years ago, play a bum note in it, then find yourself examining the fret as-if it's the bass not you... then you feel all hot and prickly, and you notice another civilian has wandered into the shop, and he's looking at the mandolins... he doesn't want a mandolin! He's come in there to watch you crash and burn! And is that a smirk on his face?? ... that's it, make your excuses and leave in a hurry...

Nope, that's never happened to me.

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Terrible, isn't it?

Then you dredge up some simple yet crappy bassline that you half-remember from years ago, play a bum note in it, then find yourself examining the fret as-if it's the bass not you... then you feel all hot and prickly, and you notice another civilian has wandered into the shop, and he's looking at the mandolins... he doesn't want a mandolin! He's come in there to watch you crash and burn! And is that a smirk on his face?? ... that's it, make your excuses and leave in a hurry...

Nope, that's never happened to me.

Hahaha

I am kicking myself as they had these very short headless basses. Not a fan but they looked goooood.

And stringray I wanted to try out.

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

I entered FinHombré instead :D

Thank you, Young Teebs. I did not seek to put myself forward in this way but if my friends and peers have decided that they wish me to enter the fray then I would be doing them and all of Basschat a disservice by refusing.

It will be a hard contest but, I hope, a fair one. I pray that I am equal to the struggle and worthy to accept this heavy responsibility which you choose to place on my shoulders.

Thank you, friends, for your confidence in me. I shall try my best to live up to your expectations.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Thank you, Young Teebs. I did not seek to put myself forward in this way but if my friends and peers have decided that they wish me to enter the fray then I would be doing them and all of Basschat a disservice by refusing.

It will be a hard contest but, I hope, a fair one. I pray that I am equal to the struggle and worthy to accept this heavy responsibility which you choose to place on my shoulders.

Thank you, friends, for your confidence in me. I shall try my best to live up to your expectations.

Oh God! :o

What have I done! :o

He'll be so disappointed when he finds out that prog ended in the '70's :(

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Oh God! :o

What have I done! :o

He'll be so disappointed when he finds out that prog ended in the '70's :(

Oddly enough, I hear prog' is somehow back in fashion at the moment. Only with weirdos, I assume (same as it ever was). 👍

• Haha 3