Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 115 combo

Martin_D

Hi folks

Anybody had one of these? Just wondering how they’d compare to something more modern, like an Ashdown ABM or Fender Rumble?

It would be used for small to medium size venues and wonder how it would hold up.

There’s one being sold local to me and I have messaged to see if I can go and try it out, but would be good to hear the thoughts from anyone who has one of these or previously owned one. 

Cheers

Martin

During the 80s and 90s Trace Elliot was the thing to have - lots of Pros used them too - TE's client list read like a who's who of bass players....with good reason.

If you haven't played a TE before you're going to be pleasantly surprised - and you get a lot of amp for your buck. Don't be put off by the weight (they are weighty so take a sack barrow).

With the current move to lightweight gear we're seeing combos go for less than £300...do your homework - look on ebay/Gumtree - go armed with details of others for sale and offer £200 - if you get it for around £200 you got a good deal but don't be put off by a £250-275 price tag.. 

A good TE will be more than a match for the other gear you list. People don't sell their TE because they don't do the job, they sell because they want something lighter.

Good luck

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

..... People don't sell their TE because they don't do the job, they sell because they want something lighter.

Precisely this. I have a GP12SMX 4x10 combo, but I can't lift it and get it in and out of the car without wrecking my back. Sounds awesome and is loud enough for any gig I will ever play, but I can't use it :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Years ago you would have loved to have had this - especially at this price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-Base-Rig/173813271680?hash=item2878140c80:g:PfkAAOSwlltcdVQo

Now you look at this and just the thought of moving it hurts your back. Buy the rig, use the head with lightweight cabs and store or sell the cabs.

Insane price. 

Just do it! I love mine - sounds great, really useful eq and it's phenomenally powerful. 

I think I turned it up to 3 in a 200-capacity venue... Only had it above that level once when I first got it - vibrated every light fitting in the entire house.

It's not light but it's not immovable either. I think I paid just over £200 for mine about a year ago.

1 hour ago, Martin_D said:

Any idea how heavy the 15 inch combo is roughly? Not that the weight really puts me off, just curious. 

About the same as a small moon if the one I was playing through last night is anything to go by! It was a 712 SMC...

Just now, Martin_D said:

😂 How did it sound though?

Not the best example. Someone had been bad to it. Speaker was a replacement and not in good nick. I swiftly swapped over to the Peavey TNT it was propped on top of.

Having said that the last night we were in the same rehearsal room I'd been using a Trace GP11 head and it was OUTSTANDING!!!