Why become a member? ×

So..Sire

BaggyMan

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Has anyone played the V5 passive and have also played a V7. Wondering how they compare? 

I keep trying to avoid wanting one but curiosity is getting the better of me... 

I am tempted by the V5s roasted neck and price point, but to me the pre is the big selling point of the Sire. 

50 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I am tempted by the V5s roasted neck and price point, but to me the pre is the big selling point of the Sire. 

When I had a V7 it mostly remained in passive mode, just what I prefer. In fact the one time I tried to use the active EQ to overcome a crap amp I ended up making the sound too boomy. 

The V7 does passive and active, and the benefit is that the volume is almost identical, so you have the best of both worlds. Having briefly had an MM Stingray with a roasted maple neck, although they are en vogue (!) this season, they’re not really to my taste visually. Onboard eq is only really ever for quick tweaks on the fly or for noodling with at home anyway, but it’s nice to have another option.

54 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

When I had a V7 it mostly remained in passive mode, just what I prefer. In fact the one time I tried to use the active EQ to overcome a crap amp I ended up making the sound too boomy. 

If you prefer passive then the V5 is the way to go. Cheaper, no batteries required, less stuff can go wrong! 

I used to loathe active EQ until I had my V7 and then I used to bypass my amp EQ and purely use the V7. Each to his or her own! 

I own a P7. The battery died about two months ago and I haven't replaced it yet, just been using passive mode. At least for home practice/playing along to tracks I haven't really missed the eq. It's got PJ pickups mind so there's a lot of tonal difference already in there.