Why become a member? ×

Call me al solo

Delamitri79

6 minutes ago, Heathy said:

I think the open notes are there (apart from the open E). I thought they were ghost notes until I slowed the track down to 50% on You Tube.

I really like the cross string approach - so thanks for posting this.

Always reassuring to me that Paul Simon's bass player messes it up live. I think it's important to remain loyal to that!

Just listened back at 50% and I think your dead right. It definitely sounds like there's a note being hit instead of a ghost note 

• Like 2

This song is an ongoing challenge for me. The latest change I am making is to stop slapping it altogether (after 30+ years, I've finally accepted that slapping is not for me). There are two bass lines in many of the verses so this allows me to take more of a best of both worlds approach.

But if I fall flat on my @rse at the next gig I'll probably change my mind again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heathy said:

I think the open notes are there (apart from the open E). I thought they were ghost notes until I slowed the track down to 50% on You Tube.

I really like the cross string approach - so thanks for posting this.

Always reassuring to me that Paul Simon's bass player messes it up live. I think it's important to remain loyal to that!

Yeah, I agree about the cross string approach, and also when slowed down you can pick out those open notes. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Heathy said:

This song is an ongoing challenge for me. The latest change I am making is to stop slapping it altogether (after 30+ years, I've finally accepted that slapping is not for me). There are two bass lines in many of the verses so this allows me to take more of a best of both worlds approach.

But if I fall flat on my @rse at the next gig I'll probably change my mind again.

I hear ya chief. Its a tune that has been my nemesis for years. I'm glad to be tackling it and I'm 95% there. 

• Like 1

OK I've figured out what's going wrong between me and the drummer. At the end of the 8 count he's putting in a count of 1 and then starting the verse. So effectively he's allowing a pause at the end of the solo and then the verse so the whole count is 

12341234  1  1234 and so on. Mad wrong but sure now I know what he's at ill just lock into it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MGB said:

Shouldn't he just play it the way it's supposed to be instead of you trying to lock in on a mistake he makes? 

Defiantly... If not, get Animal in on the gig. He'll nail it. 

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MGB said:

Shouldn't he just play it the way it's supposed to be instead of you trying to lock in on a mistake he makes? 

Fully agree with you. The problem is I'm the new guy and the band have been playing it "wrong" for so long now I don't they can play it right 😂

7 minutes ago, Heathy said:

Sounds to me like he might be doing you a favour. Part of the challenge of that solo for me is coming back in with the low F on time.

Do ya know, I was kinda thinking the same 😂. Now I get that little breather to get back on that low F. I used to actually just play the octave F on the D string followed by the lower A and C notes of that riff but it'll be nice to hit back to the low F 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue...for the count the drummer stops on the "and" of the 4 and just counts through the 2 bars. I learnt it by copying the above live video and slowing it down an mp3 of it in Ableton and it seems to work consistently now. Those pull offs coming up at the end are tough but it's quick enough that they don't make too much noise 

• Like 1

Paul Simon's bassists must curse him for this (and also for that time around 2010 or whenever it was when he said that he was bored of bass and didn't think he'd bother with bass guitars on future albums). It's a difficult enough solo break when the whole band stops and everyone looks at the bassist, expecting the solo to finish cleanly with the band coming back in on the beat, but the 'inspiration' of reversing the first phrase to end the solo on the record created this problem. 

I mean, watch the video below. I think it's Armand Sabal Lecco on the bass and he blows the solo. It goes wrong very quickly and he tries to style it out to no avail. I suppose he was glad it was a short solo spot. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mook said:

I had this same issue...for the count the drummer stops on the "and" of the 4 and just counts through the 2 bars. I learnt it by copying the above live video and slowing it down an mp3 of it in Ableton and it seems to work consistently now. Those pull offs coming up at the end are tough but it's quick enough that they don't make too much noise 

Your timing is bang on. That's exactly how I count it. Unfortunately the drummer I'm with seems to count it differently and we've spoken about it before and he even had the audacity to tell me, "it's a simple line and once you get it, you won't remember playing it wrong". He still comes in a half beat after me. Sounds shite 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Paul Simon's bassists must curse him for this (and also for that time around 2010 or whenever it was when he said that he was bored of bass and didn't think he'd bother with bass guitars on future albums). It's a difficult enough solo break when the whole band stops and everyone looks at the bassist, expecting the solo to finish cleanly with the band coming back in on the beat, but the 'inspiration' of reversing the first phrase to end the solo on the record created this problem. 

I mean, watch the video below. I think it's Armand Sabal Lecco on the bass and he blows the solo. It goes wrong very quickly and he tries to style it out to no avail. I suppose he was glad it was a short solo spot. 

I've seen this video and few times before and even though ASL is a phenomenal player he completely fluffs the first couple of notes and then (very quickly) turns it into a flash slap piece. 

4 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

I've seen this video and few times before and even though ASL is a phenomenal player he completely fluffs the first couple of notes and then (very quickly) turns it into a flash slap piece. 

I agree. It was probably supposed to sound more like this (4m in):

• Like 1

Still not a patch on Bakithi's sound or playing...but then he's kinda unique... 😕

It was finding clips like the one before which kept me going when I was trying to get it right(ish)... 🙂

Here's Bakithi doing it...to be fair, even he looks like it's hard work, but sound is sooo much better;  3:35 or so...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Still not a patch on Bakithi's sound or playing...but then he's kinda unique... 😕

It was finding clips like the one before which kept me going when I was trying to get it right(ish)... 🙂

Here's Bakithi doing it...to be fair, even he looks like it's hard work, but sound is sooo much better;  3:35 or so...

Getting back to that F is a beach 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2019 at 15:01, Delamitri79 said:

Your timing is bang on. That's exactly how I count it. Unfortunately the drummer I'm with seems to count it differently and we've spoken about it before and he even had the audacity to tell me, "it's a simple line and once you get it, you won't remember playing it wrong". He still comes in a half beat after me. Sounds shite 

Haha drummers!!....the worst thing about the part is that when the drummer messes it up everyone is looking at you like your the idiot. Thank god we have it sorted now, I used to dread it. 

On 05/07/2019 at 15:54, Muzz said:

As much as I like Bakithi, I actually prefer ASLs sound on these.