Why become a member? ×

Call me al solo

Delamitri79

Hey folks. 

Ok I want to try and settle something between myself and the drummer. The bass solo in call me al is something that I've struggled with for a long time but lately I feel like I'm nailing it pretty well. 

This is how I'm counting it. 

1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4 with the solo starting just after the 1 beat. The verse comes back in then on the 1 of bar 3 if ya get me. 

I've listened to it hundreds of times and played it correctly over and over again and I feel I have it right. 

The problem is the drummer doesn't come back for the verse on the same beat as me. He comes in on the one after and insists I'm doing something wrong. 

Can someone please count this out for me or write it out musically or whatever way that I can count it properly 

Many Thanks 

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

There’s a reversed snare drum too. Makes for a little weird timing.

On the Graceland in Africa Concert version BK plays the backward and forward bits, might be worth a watch.

i have the dvd somewhere

Saw Paul Simon at the NEC on the Gracelands tour. BK played the solo bit twice, it got so much applause the first time.

• Like 1

When we first decided to do this, years ago, I was scratching my head a lot, and decided to Google some live versions. Blimey. And not in a good way. 😕

I felt a lot better about myself after that - especially a couple of the Paul Simon live ones (without BK, obv...)  😀

If you break your 1+2+3+4+ up again (think half and half again), so it's 1ee +a 2ee +a 3ee +a 4ee +a, your first note comes on the ee of the 1, the fill goes over two bars, and then everything comes back in on the nose of the 1 third bar.

Never failed me or tripped a drummer up yet :)

2 hours ago, goblin said:

If you break your 1+2+3+4+ up again (think half and half again), so it's 1ee +a 2ee +a 3ee +a 4ee +a, your first note comes on the ee of the 1, the fill goes over two bars, and then everything comes back in on the nose of the 1 third bar.

Correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goblin said:

Absolutely mate. On the nose of the 1 third bar. 

1 hour ago, spencer.b said:

You're right , why not suggest practicing it together with a metronome running?

We're gonna run through it on Friday night. I said it to him and he maintains that I'm playing it wrong and my timing of it is off. 

Not my transcription below, but worth showing the Drummer. It sounds like he is counting the first note of the Bass solo as one, when in fact, it starts on the upbeat of one. I have had the misfortune of depping in a band when the runaway train was doing something similar by the sound of your story.

The guy who transcribed the below chart has written up a little brief on how to nail it accurately.

l7dLJwa.png

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Not my transcription below, but worth showing the Drummer. It sounds like he is counting the first note of the Bass solo as one, when in fact, it starts on the upbeat of one. I have had the misfortune of depping in a band when the runaway train was doing something similar by the sound of your story.

The guy who transcribed the below chart has written up a little brief on how to nail it accurately.

l7dLJwa.png

Very interesting alright. I've seen this before and I think he's pretty close but not quite there. There is no open notes in the actual riff. They're ghost notes. The timing seems right though

I think the open notes are there (apart from the open E). I thought they were ghost notes until I slowed the track down to 50% on You Tube.

I really like the cross string approach - so thanks for posting this.

Always reassuring to me that Paul Simon's bass player messes it up live. I think it's important to remain loyal to that!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heathy said:

I think the open notes are there (apart from the open E). I thought they were ghost notes until I slowed the track down to 50% on You Tube.

I really like the cross string approach - so thanks for posting this.

Always reassuring to me that Paul Simon's bass player messes it up live. I think it's important to remain loyal to that!

Are ya sure the open notes are there? I'll have to slow her down again😂. I like the open note approach. It does seem a little easier playing them on the 1st half descending line but it's very tricky to keep the strings quiet if you include them in the 2nd half ascending line. 

I feel a compromise comin on