Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman

Dem Jolie-blues

I think that you will need to be more specific in terms model numbers and year of production. 

Do you mean the old style Bassman combos that were designed as bass amps in the 50s/60s but which achieved fame as guitar amps?

Do you mean the vintage valve amp heads in the 70s and 80s? If so, they can be used for guitar or bass. For bass though these designs designs are (comparatively) underpowered to the modern Fender Bassman Pro series of bass amps, which are valve bass amps comprising the 100T (100w valve amp) and Super Bassman (300 watt valve amp). There are also Fender Bassman bass amps which are not valve amps, comprising the hybrid Bassman 500 and Bassman 800 designs. 

The new Bassman Pro and the Rumble series are generally good amps. In terms of a vintage amp, it will obviously depend on the condition of that specific amp. 

• Thanks 1

I used to have a late '70's Bassman 135 silverface - like thodrik says; a bit underpowered for these days and as a gigging all-valve amp I prefer the Mesa D-180 I use now, but it does get my vote as the best looking amp ever made......:i-m_so_happy:

Simple, dependable, great clean tone; only really breaks into overdrive when pushed to the very limit

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2019 at 08:53, Shaggy said:

I used to have a late '70's Bassman 135 silverface - like thodrik says; a bit underpowered for these days and as a gigging all-valve amp I prefer the Mesa D-180 I use now, but it does get my vote as the best looking amp ever made......:i-m_so_happy:

Simple, dependable, great clean tone; only really breaks into overdrive when pushed to the very limit

image.jpeg

Funny but I find the look of Fender amps in General look a bit naff except for the tweeds. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:53, Shaggy said:

Snap. Did you have the 2x15 cab? I replaced the iffy drivers in mine with Peavey Black Widows and it was mega.

Nope - I'd have loved one, but I used it with an old H/H 2x15 which was bulletproof and had any amount of low end, but weighed an absolute ton.   

Hope to have a full vintage Bassman rig one day 9_9

I've really enjoyed my Bassman 500 with 115 neo cab for a few years now.  I just love the lightweight 17 lb. head, with Class-D power amp, since my back feels even older than the rest of me.  The Vintage and Overdrive channels give me a wide variety of sounds with plenty of actual tube driven pre-amp control.  And the retro looks are a plus for me.

MyBM500w115.jpg

Edited by G-Dog
Misspelling
  • Like 2