Why become a member? ×

IEM's - to Amp or not to Amp - thats my Question

Swijn

21 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And let me guess, you feel it out of phase? Or should I say, with a significant delay.

Yep. It just sounds like donkey! I don't get it. When we got on, the Bassist before had the gain and master at 9 and 8 respectively. Chatting to the guitarist after, he said it made him feel dizzy, like he was going to pass out! 

When I'm on ears (which is most of the time), I send a DI from the amp head (post EQ) to the engineer, sometimes the cab gets a mic as well. And then I get full control of my mix via iPad (Allen & Heath) for the most part, or when on festival gigs there's normally a monitor engineer to take care of me.

As for whether I have the cab or not, depends on how much space we've got on stage. I'm used to big stages, but sometimes we get a small one and it can be overkill. The key is decent in ears I find. I use Ultimate Ears UE11 and they've been incredible, though there are loads of equally good and possibly better ones out there too, just depends what you want to spend really. PA placement determines if I have the cab on me or not, as I do like the feeling of the vibrations. If the PA stacks are on stage, I'm quite happy to just go with in ears. I'm pretty close normally as I go far stage right, but that also means my cab and laptop (runs bass synth sounds) can be to my right in the wings should I desire such as bigger stages, or when we're in venues and there's inhouse PA which don't give as much back through the stage.

When I'm not using the cab, the engineer's drive rack is usually next to where my cab goes, so I still take the amp head and laptop, and sit it on top of that. Works well! 

As for haptic monitoring, I'm yet to find one I like. I've tried the Porter and Davies platform, and throne too, and it just doesn't feel very real to me. 

3 hours ago, goblin said:

The key is decent in ears I find. I use Ultimate Ears UE11 and they've been incredible, though there are loads of equally good and possibly better ones out there too, just depends what you want to spend really.

As for haptic monitoring, I'm yet to find one I like. I've tried the Porter and Davies platform, and throne too, and it just doesn't feel very real to me. 

There's the magic quad driver customs! Yup - they are super, super important... especially when it comes to bass!

As for the haptic monitoring... yeah, working on that! 😛