Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stringray Old Smoothie - mint green - TRADED
£1800
Exeter/Cardiff

funkyjimbob

Hi,

I am selling my two year old Old Smoothie in mint green due to it not being used enough. It is in excellent condition and has been gigged only a couple of times. 

Here is the color and the specs:

Specifications StingRay 40th (Old Smoothie)
Model StingRay 40th (Old Smoothie)
Size 13-1/2" wide x 1-5/8" thick x 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
Body Wood Alder
Body Finish High gloss polyester
Body Colors Mint & Butterscotch
Bridge Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with vintage stainless steel saddles and adjustable mute pads
Pickguard White
Scale Length 34" (86.4 cm)
Neck Radius 7.5" (19.1 cm)
Headstock Size Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
Frets 21 - Low profile, narrow width
Neck Width 1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
Neck Wood Select maple neck
Fingerboard Select maple
Fret Markers 5/16" Black dots (no 21st marker)
Neck Finish High gloss polyester
Neck Colors Natural aged light yellow finish
Tuning Machines Schaller BM, with tapered string posts
Truss Rod Rear mounted adjustable - no component or string removal
Neck Attachment 6 bolt neck plate
Electronic Shielding Chrome plated brass control cover
Controls Custom "Old Smoothie" 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass
Pickups Custom "Old Smoothie" humbucking with 10 elongated Alnico magnets and split cover
Left Handed No
Strings 45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)

Willing to post at buyers expense. I live in Exeter but work in Cardiff so willing to meet around these areas. Comes in the official Musicman hard case it arrived in. 

Thanks!

FB_IMG_1560763528089.jpg

20190621_100840.jpg

20190621_100849.jpg

20190621_100852.jpg

Edited by funkyjimbob
Update ad
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

As a proud owner of one of these  ( in my moderate stable of basses , I literally don't pick up any other bass) they are phenomenal , I didn't ever think anything would ever move me away from a jazz width neck ,  I even ceased looking at the classifieds on here , for months on end ...  I have a chocolate burst  with the white scratchplate  ....   and yes you will struggle to find a replacement ..... I tried to find a black replacement but couldn't ..

The pickup in these is a 5 string  width allowing the strings to rest between the poles to tame a lot of the bark ..... ( unless you dial it in on the classic 2 band eq )

I've just paid a substantial deposit on a house otherwise i'd consider this as a backup and sell every other bass I own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2019 at 17:36, synthaside said:

The pickup in these is a 5 string  width allowing the strings to rest between the poles to tame a lot of the bark ..... ( unless you dial it in on the classic 2 band eq )

A "novel" idea, never noticed this before

That's what's special about the old smoothie Ray;s  its an original design prototype that was rejected by an admittedly going deaf leo fender .

The blurb  :

"Old Smoothie" StingRay, a faithful reproduction of StingRay prototype #26, designed for Sterling Ball during his time spent testing and developing the original prototypes back in the 70's. Named for its smooth even tone that is reminiscent of the highly sought after vintage Music Man StingRay sound, "Old Smoothie" has been precisely reproduced including the one-of-a-kind custom made 10 pole piece pickup design, body headstock and pickguard shape, 34-inch scale maple neck and fingerboard, low profile narrow frets, hardware, and active electronics. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • MB1 locked this topic
  • ped unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • MB1 locked this topic