Why become a member? ×

Help needed with feedback issues

Trimmo91

So have played a few shows with this set up and I am starting to notice a  regular problem that I need to overcome pretty sharpish. Any advice is gratefully received.

I am playing with a what I believe to be a hybrid bass strung with Gut a Like Swingmasters. I use a David Gage Realist going into a Sansamp bass driver preamp. From here I go into an Ampeg BA-115 and DI straight out of the Ampeg into the pa at every show.

I use in ear monitors to avoid feedback issues and use a very low stage volume as the bass is being driven through the FOH.

The issue that I am having is a loud boomy sound when I play certain notes. This is mainly the A, Bb and B on the G string.

What might be causing this and how can I avoid it in the future?

My bass does this on the A string. Vagaries of a big wooden box I'm afraid with all sorts of resonances. You either need to remove ('notch' out) the offending frequencies or cut the overall boom with a preamp pedal that has a high pass filter (HPF). The most popular HPF pedal is the fdeck pedal. This is only sold in US but the schematic is available so it can be copied freely. Rafferty makes an equivalent in the UK

https://reverb.com/uk/item/19554860-rafferty-hpf-pre-2-bass-preamp-adjustable-high-pass-filter-phase-switch-custom-color?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzo-8zpLu4gIVzL3tCh0tOw6PEAQYAiABEgIvV_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Or you can drop the Sansamp and get a DB specific preamp with this functionality built in like a Fishman Plat Pro (there's one for sale on this site, here 

Edited by Clarky
Typos and added links
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Trimmo91 said:

The issue that I am having is a loud boomy sound when I play certain notes. This is mainly the A, Bb and B on the G string.

Is it a wolf tone? My bass developed one in the same place as you, but I found a wolf tone eliminator helped a lot. It's a small metal mass which screws onto the afterlength to counter the resonance.

Edited by jrixn1

19 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Is it a wolf tone? My bass developed one in the same place as you, but I found a wolf tone eliminator helped a lot. It's a small metal mass which screws onto the afterlength to counter the resonance.

I'll try it thank you

• 1 month later...

Have solved this issue now. After looking at loads of things such as F hole covers etc I had the pleasure of borrowing a Sansamp paradriver. This has a built in HPF and instantly sorted all of my issues.

DI straight out of the paradriver into the desk with rumble filter engaged and I get a fab tone with no feedback issues at all.

I was close to order the raferty but the Sansamp offers more tone shaping ability.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1