Why become a member? ×

Massive outdoor Festivals? don't get it

PaulWarning

I've got 2 small ones coming up - Funk In The Forest and Down On The Farm.

Both are quite small (50 or so bands, no really big names apart from John Coghlan's Quo and Dr & The Medics at The Farm). Luckily, I can only stay for the time we're playing (though we would be camping in the artist's "quiet" area), and as both are quite close I shall be going in the Land Rover. That way I'll be able to drive straight to the stage no matter how much mud there is.

• Like 1

I've been to Glastonbury (too big, corporate and impersonal), 'progressed' to Latitude (got too 'Hampstead on the Suffolk Coast' and chav-heavy) and have finally ended up attending Green Man for the last 4 years or so.  GM is without doubt the best of the bunch but, being located at the foot of the Black Mountains in the Brecon Beacons there's more or less a 100% chance it will rain at some point over the weekend.  We mitigate by simply making sure we take some proper water-proof clothing and a suitable wide-brimmed hat.  Mind you, there's not much you can do about the car parks being mud baths when you want to leave!  That said, I've seen some absolutely blasting bands and the beer's not too p**s-takingly expensive either.  Oh, and a Beer Festival forms part of the whole shebang too. :)

Edited by Bass Culture
Auto-correction of p**s to 'fosters' :)
  • Like 2

I couldn't think of a worse way to experience music than at a festival. Standing in a field, poor sound quality, drugged or drunk louts everywhere, eye-watering prices for everything and disgusting toilets, no thanks. 

I much prefer a seated gig these days, though I rarely go to gigs as there is little on locally that interests me. That said, I do recall that every time I've seen Steve Vai live at Newcastle City Hall, which is a seated venue, everyone stands up the moment he comes on stage and remains standing until the end. Its more like an allocated standing space that you pay for rather than a seat ticket. Can't we all just sit down and enjoy the performance for God's sake? 😂

• Like 1

Not "Large Festival" but went to "Rythym Festival a few times, and it was great, but that was only about 5000 people, so still managed to feel human, even when raining. Sadly it all went tits up (suspect it tried to expand too quickly).

Went to see Rod Stewart in New medow (Shrewsbry), and did not enjoy it. I'm sure Rod was fine, but it was all just too big.

Haven't been to download since 2006, but been to many other since then, As a punter and playing.

Guess it's just a case of what you enjoy doing, or not in some cases.

This year will be the 3rd time I play Bloodstock and around the 7th year I've attended and camped for the weekend, less broad than download so the mix of people isn't so bad, Last year i did Wacken in Germany which was cool and thankfully the weather was awesome, although they do things more efficiently there!

I've done a shed load of smaller indie ones too, 3rd Year Amplified Festival is on this year and playing that, Call of the Wild in Lincolnshire just happened, that was reasonably ok. I love a bed and a clean porcelain bog, but aint nothing wrong with slumming it for a few days!

Dissenting voice here. I was at Download this weekend and yes the rain on saturday was a bit cr@p but sunday was generally warm and dry although a mudbath. I don't usually do big festivals other than this one now and again, the only reason I go being to see certain bands I like all in one place that I don't get to see often. Unlike some other big festivals, it's a good natured crowd with no aggro.  Mind you getting out of the south field was a total pain in the 'arris. Stuck in gridlock for over 2 hours before we managed to get out. Mind you people were mostly calm and chilled about it.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

Going to Glastonbury in the early--mid 90s was one the highlights of my late teens/early 20s.

I loved pretty much every second apart from the inevitable points where I had to take a seat in the latrines.

Even that was useful life experience. Whenever someone warns me about 'the state of the gents' in a pub or on a train I can go in confidently knowing that I've almost certainly seen and dealt with worse.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I depped on bass in a friend's unsigned band at the 2018 Bluedot festival  (Jodrell Bank, Cheshire ). It was the largest festival I've played, the weather was fine and overall I enjoyed the experience, especially "access all areas" which allowed us back-stage at the main stage, even though we were only playing the smaller "Nebula" stage.

So it was a great opportunity to be a part of it, but having to arrive on site a minimum of 4 hours before we were due to play and backstage 2 hours (IIRC) before our 30 minute early afternoon slot meant a lot of standing around.  So I couldn't help thinking that had the weather been bad; this would have been pretty miserable, with little backstage shelter for the queue of bands and their gear, waiting to go on.

Although I'm in my 50s, even in my teens or 20s I was never motivated to go to any outdoor festivals or gigs, mainly because the UK weather is predictable only in its unpredictability!  But I also dislike very large venues  (both outdoors and indoors ) where there's no guarantee of being reasonably close to the stage.

To date, I've only ever been to 1 "big" outdoor festival, and that was with my wife & kids. It was OK, but a lot of standing around (thank goodness for Go Outdoors £5 folding chairs!). Didn't see many bands through the day, but got to see Wilko (with Norman) and Madness in the evening. The main stage was in a natural amphitheatre, so you can see the stage wherever you were, and not that many folk in front of you.

Thankfully, we were camped in the "Quiet Family" area, but seeing the mess that was left in the normal camping area (tents, sleeping bags, furniture, etc.) on the way out was an eye opener!

I got the impression that the music was just "something that goes on in the background" and almost coincidental.

Tell you what though there was plenty for bass geeks to get their teeth into at Download. I've never been particularly a fan of Dream Theater but they were damn good. John Myung's flying fingers were summat else. Didn't know much about Tool but I particularly liked Justin Chancellor's playing too. Lovely tone. Some nice work from the guy in Godsmack and a new find in the fella from Toska. A good find they were.

• Like 2

Well I'm a serial festival attender and have been since Monsters of Rock 85.  I've done loads, V Festival, Reading, Monsters of Rock/Download, Latitude,  T in the Park, IOW, Bestival as big ones.  I love them. They're not all muddy, they're not all frequented by yobbish lager louts, thieves,  drug dealers, and people with no interest in music.  The sounds systems have got better and better and the quality of the bands has improved too.  I did IOW this year and it wasn't muddy, the weather was kind, the people were great and some of the young new bands around restore your faith in 'proper' music.  I saw no trouble, no aggro, everyone just enjoying themselves and the music.

The key thing is to go prepared (camping gear, clothing etc)  for the weather, for the accommodation, for the type of music and that actually it can be quite tiring.  

Don't write them off, then can be a lot of fun. 

• Like 3

Festivals - bit of a lottery.

The best ones i went too were the free ones. Watchfield , Windsor , but even the one pay festival i went too, Knebworth, was a hoot.

A less famous free one i attended compared to the above, was a MAG festival. For those that dont know who MAG is, they're the Motorcycle Action Group.

If you didnt know, you'd expect there to be appalling condition, bikers batting the shyte out of each other, riding their bikes over tents etc.

Not so. The place was spotless, no litter to speak of, and any small amounts were cleared up, the toilets were the cleanest of any festival id been to, and didnt reek.

I never saw one fight, and everyone was as pleasant as hell.

• Like 4

Apart from big one day events at Milton Keynes bowl , in the late 80's, early 90's ; I did my first 2 years ago with my then 15 yr old daughter .

She wanted to go to Download - chose Sunday . Aerosmith day etc .

Loads of people complaining about the organisation etc .

From what I can gather , lots of folk have been to Europe for festivals , and they seem far far better .

Better parking (can actually find your car , as everything is lit and numbered up) , and the toilets are far better too - I know they're not going to be perfect , but there's absolutely no reason why , at the 2017 Download I went to , that out of , I think 3 main toilet blocks with around 40/50 portaloos in each block , that come Sunday , only a handful are working .

I know it's a money making thing , but there's no reason for the above in this day and age .

Edited by E sharp
spelling
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, fleabag said:

If you didnt know, you'd expect there to be appalling condition, bikers batting the shyte out of each other, riding their bikes over tents etc.

I used to go to Kent Hells Angels' Custom Bike Show...

No trouble, loads of fun and we even got Slade, Saxon and Rockbitch (they scared even the most evil looking biker; luckily there were no police on site :o)

The mainstream festivals are just too big now I feel. 

I used to go to Monsters of Rock every year, and through the changes when it was Ozfest (including the Milton Keynes one)  and  then became Download. I haven't been for years now. I used to love it though. 

Today's festivals are massively sanitised compared to my first festival experience, at sixteen we went to Treworgey Tree Festival (if any of the 80s travellers are on here then you'll know the one, pretty legendary) and holy sh!t did it open my eyes, amazing and scarey as f*ck at the same time. Anything after that is tame and corporate. 

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I used to go to Kent Hells Angels' Custom Bike Show...

No trouble, loads of fun and we even got Slade, Saxon and Rockbitch (they scared even the most evil looking biker; luckily there were no police on site :o)

Yup, i've been to an HA fest, and pretty much identical to your experience ... great bands, no one kicked off ( who would dare ? ) and a great time had.  They know how to party, fo sho.

No police needed, and indeed they were none there

• Like 1

Only festivals I've been to were 70's free festivals, like Stonehenge, Ruthin, Deeply Vale, etc. I was at the Summer of Love party in Kent last year (we were playing there) and the atmosphere was very much the same as at the free festivals. Never to been to a huge festival with 'name' bands as I've never been interested in that kind of music. I'll be at SoL again this year, as not only are we playing there again, but Here & Now are on before us, and I haven't seen them for decades!

I enjoyed Reading in 83, stayed away from thr front and watched the Agincourt Bottle effect from a safe distance.

Glastonbury mid 80s , not sure if I went once twice or three times. Remember a handful of bands... abiding memory is the loos

Various minor festivals, all good but some weird.

Went to Cropredy about 10 years in succession late 80s to mid 90s - best of the lot, and family friendly.

Now sad enough to be considering Rockstock.

Might try this which combines two of my interests!

http://www.solarsphere.events/

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Another vote for the Bikers festivals  here.

Back in the Seventies and early Eighties I went to loads of festivals...all the big ones that you can think of  (except Glastonbury for some reason). The worst for rain being two consecutive years at Buxton....shudder!.

I don't go now as I cannot stand camping; I go to the odd smaller day festival but even that is getting a chore...The best I can do now is Wotton -under- Edge festival ,where I stay in a lovely hotel and the bands all play in the different pubs around the village for three days.😁

Late nineties to mid Noughties I worked selling Jacket potatoes on my ex-Father in law's trailer at all the Bikers festivals of the season. Every "big"  HA ,Outlaws etc one and a few smaller "independents" ones.

Never any trouble , polite ,patient customers, some cracking bands to see and over all a great place to work. Extremely long hours and very tiring but well worth it.

I went to Reading from 2002 to 2006 and Download from 2003 to 2009 (I'd have stopped in 2008, but then we played the next year)

I used to really like festivals - the atmosphere, the line-ups - some of the best performances I've seen were at feativals - Black Sabbath at Download 2005?, Foo Fighters at Reading 2005, Metallica without Lars at Download 2004, Faith No More at Download 2009 Tool and Prodigy at Download 2006, Mastodon at Reading 2006, AFI at Reading 2003

But....with kids, the idea of going away for a weekend alone, spending hundreds of pounds just on the ticket before I've fed and watered myself for four days just isn't viable.

Plus I'm more anti-social and like a proper bed these days, so I can't see myself going back anytime soon. Perhaps when the kids are older, if I could afford to Air B&B somewhere local and taxi in each day that'd be different.

I do Damnation festival in Leeds once a year, which is one day and indoors so a lot more condicive to being in my thirties and constantly tired.

• Like 1

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I went to a couple of festivals, I hated camping so just picked one day. Went to the Phoenix Festival as I lived 1/2 hour away and a mate could drive.

Then in 2002 a bunch of us went to All Tomorrow's Parties at Camber Sands. Now there was a a festival I got into. All indoors, sleeping in a real bed, being able to cook your own food... Unfortunately I never got the chance to do it again...

In 2010 I started going to the Supersonic Festival at the Custard Factory in Birmingham. I'd tried to go a couple of times before that, had tickets and such, but stuff happened. I'm from Coventry and my folks still live there. Me and my mates share driving duties. They used to contribute reviews to Louder Than War, so had press passes. Then they started their own little site, and still got passes. Until this year.

Usually I have prior knowledge of maybe 3-4 bands playing, but finding new acts to listen to is what the festival is all about for me.

13 hours ago, E sharp said:

- I know they're not going to be perfect , but there's absolutely no reason why , at the 2017 Download I went to , that out of , I think 3 main toilet blocks with around 40/50 portaloos in each block , that come Sunday , only a handful are working .

You'd think that. I've spent my career working in offices and you wouldn't believe the state most men think it's ok to leave the loos in (never been in the ladies myself on account of not wanting to get fired). Honestly, some people are either so proud of the massive jobby they've just left that they want all their colleagues to see and smell it, or they're too scared to flush it. If that's how people behave in offices imagine what those fiends do when they see a row of fifty portabogs that others are expecting to be dirty???!  There's some weirdos when it comes to loos.

I went to loads when I was young and pretty well enjoyed every one of them. I wouldn't now, because now I need comfort and luxury, but back then I didn't. Yep, there are lots of aspects (especially loos) that are no pleasant, but if you are there with your mates or a girlfriend and you are young and responsibilityless, you can look past that and have a blast.

With the average age of people on basschat you can't expect them to be that popular here!

• Like 2

I was going to Leeds Fest annually from age 17 onwards, when it was affordable and friendly. Yeah the weather was a lottery (this is England) but then we knew that and took what we needed to come out unscathed.

Now you need to be a lottery winner just to get a ticket, and if you do go then it feels like everyone's seconds away from a mass brawl. The only plus point is that the food has improved massively - quality street food rather than a day-off-work burger that's been sat on a hot-plate since 9am.

Like most here I'm now of the opinion that hell is other people, and the thought of camping next to hundreds of howling university students with day-glo facepaint makes me come out in a rage.

Large festivals are not for me either. My idea of hell. Give me a small local festival or ideally an indoor job any day!

I was however invited to Download a few years back with a backstage pass and access to Iron Maiden’s hospitality. Met my idol Mr Harris along with Nicko and Dave Murray. Saw Motörhead when a very poorly looking Phil Taylor came on stage and will never forget the image of Lemmy being whisked away from the back of the stage on a golf buggy.

However, when we did venture into the ‘real’ festival environment it reminded me why I hated them. The sound was awful (very windy day), the aerial bombardment of plastic glasses full of ‘warm’ amber fluids were in full flight and underfoot was like a bog.

Not for me.