Why become a member? ×

Name that Bassist from Their Sound

Stub Mandrel

Phil Alexander introduced a John Martyn track on Planet Rock.

I've never heard 'Go Down Easy' (the DAB told me that) but my instant reaction was 'That's Danny Thompson!'

Sure enough, a quick google and it's Danny.

Who are the bass players you can spot just by their tone and style?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've never heard 'Go Down Easy' (the DAB told me that) but my instant reaction was 'That's Danny Thompson!'

To be fair, Danny's been on so many people's work that the odds are somewhat skewed. 😎

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Who are the bass players you can spot just by their tone and style?

I'd nominate Jack Casady

• Haha 1

I'd concur Mick Karn, forget Japan here for a minute, but you listen to Polytown, JBK or even the stuff he contributed to Gary Numan's Dance album, he's instantly recognisable.  I often wonder to myself what Hesitation Marks by NIN would have sounded like with him rather than PP.

Of the rest?  Billy Sheehan.  Ummm.

I'd love to hear what Geddy Lee would be like in a non Rush/solo band.

Louis Johnson

Andy Fraser

Jack Bruce

11 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Jean jacques-Burnel, the one, the only

I would have agreed entirely until yesterday - saw a TOTP performance of You Really Got Me - with brass section and Steinberger headless bass (🤔😬) - sounded a little un-Brunel like, whether he was miming with a studio prop or not!! 

Edited by drTStingray

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is the closest you can get, although I would not be surprised to see a Geddy solo album in the next year or two:

I'd completely forgotten about this Max Webster ('Flex Lobster') track.  I saw them supporting Rush at Hammersmith, they were promoting A Million Vacations.  Good band.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'd completely forgotten about this Max Webster ('Flex Lobster') track.  I saw them supporting Rush at Hammersmith, they were promoting A Million Vacations.  Good band.

Saw them on that tour at Glasgow. Was hugely impressed by Max Webster. Bought the album and their bass player was a great player as well as a bit of a showman. 

• Like 2

Is their sound or what they play?

If it was just their sound you'd able to tell from a single note, but I bet no-one here could identify any bassist from a single note, so the note choice and phrasing must be equally if not more important than the sound itself.

• Like 4