Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1 - Smartened Up

Stub Mandrel

I got this from @stewblack I hope he doesn't mind me using his 'before' pic:

Orange Terror-16.jpg

This is the non-active version. read any review of a 1A and people will say 'I use it with the active switched off', because these basses come from before the days of active-optimised pickups that sound weedy when used direct.

It's definitely a bass, the old strings sounded dull, I replaced them with new Elite Stadium stainless and it sounds much nicer but still doesn't sound bright. The output is very high too so I suspect these pickups have LOTS of windings  - they have a reputation for sounding more like a precision than a precision.

I haven't done much:

Generally cleaned it all, including the crud off the fingerboard (acetone) which I then oiled. Most cleaning was with 'grip filth' wipes although it wasn't very dirty. Lots of dings and varnish worn through in a couple of places.

Took the bridge and knobs off and eventually got the lacquer off with an overnight soak in nitromors. Then pickled in vinegar and salt, then brasso, then Windsor and Newton lacquer (which will come off with white spirit).

One intonation screw was snapped sort so i replaced them.

Evidence of a different bridge before the old one put back. The three non-brass screws seem to be replacements for sheared off screws so teh brass-colour ones i put in as replacements woudl only go in at an angle to avoid the stub of the old screw , ho hum!

Added a couple of straplock buttons, then fitted the elite strings. I could see the marks from where the bridge used to sit, used these a a guide and took little effort to get decent action and spot on intonation despite rather worn frets.

Bootiful and a lovely blast from the past.

389598842_Westone(1).thumb.JPG.66ab4bcfc566818783df22ae95d03920.JPG

505054175_Westone(2).thumb.JPG.0ea0d421b6512a93f27bc972309d5934.JPG

1455984964_Westone(3).thumb.JPG.cbf40afb7d7dadd328630ec7b62adcbb.JPG

152931260_Westone(4).thumb.JPG.8381326876f1750ccc4c5de85f88db32.JPG

555098564_Westone(5).thumb.JPG.87432786b5f51737369c68783cf0e9d9.JPG

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Ki0gon loom to finish off?  I still can’t believe the difference it made in my Hohner Jack!

I've been playing electronics since I was a kid (my dad had a shop selling /repairing electricals and renting TVs until the 80s) so if I change the electrics I'd want to do it myself - but in this case the pots are totally noiseless and the wiring is very neat.

Does anyone remember the old screw-in TV legs? You used to get four plates with an angled boss on them and four wooden legs with tilting feet on the end taht fitted to a TV but you could use them to make coffee tables with any convenient slab of flat stuff.

Thinking about dad's shop and looking at the Westone slab of wood body made me think....

• 4 weeks later...

Used the Westone for a two-hour band practice last night.

By gum, it really does sound more like a Precision than a Precision - it growls, it roars... 

Found it easier to play 'in anger' than sitting down at home.

Two potential downsides (1) Don't get one of these if you like lightweight basses! (2) It is a bit quite prone to feedback when used with a fuzz.