Why become a member? ×

Silver Series 1992 Squier precision. £199.

Probably about right for the condition & mods. Not sure why but the MIJ Silver Series stuff from the early 90s always seems to be a fair bit cheaper than the mid/late 80s E & A serial instruments from the same factory.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Probably about right for the condition & mods. Not sure why but the MIJ Silver Series stuff from the early 90s always seems to be a fair bit cheaper than the mid/late 80s E & A serial instruments from the same factory.

I believe the spec of mid/late 80s Squier's are different to 90s ones. Earlier Squier's had better hardware for sure.

That's the thing - having had a couple of 80s Squiers, this one doesn't really look different. Don't know about the BBOT but the tuners on this appear to be the same Gotoh GB10s that Fujigen have used on most P-types since the early 70s - including my old A-serial.

Have heard that some MIJ Squiers had ply bodies but it doesn't look like this one does - no overspraying on the contours suggest it's solid timber.

I had a Silver Series Precision once and, straight out of the box, it was one of the nicest Precisions I have ever owned or played.  And when I then consider it cost me under £200 in terms of vfm it couldn't be beaten.  I should never have sold it - lightweight, 40mm neck and, the best thing, the most fantastic woody tone.  I've had a handful of other A series, E series MIJ Squier Ps and a couple of JVs (still have one) and although not as good as the JVs (but a fraction of the price) it was as good as the others.  IMO etc.

• Like 1

E-series MIKs are good, made by Young-Chang, who were a bit naughty & started selling the same guitars under their own Fenix brand. Unsurprisingly Fender got a bit miffed & took the contract away from YC.

Might well be the reason for that short run of early 90s MIJ Squiers, considering the timeframe.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

E-series MIKs are good, made by Young-Chang, who were a bit naughty & started selling the same guitars under their own Fenix brand. Unsurprisingly Fender got a bit miffed & took the contract away from YC.

Might well be the reason for that short run of early 90s MIJ Squiers, considering the timeframe.

Yes, the MIK E series are good. Though I replaced it with a MIJ Fender 62 RI which blew the Squier away in every way (except the machineheads!). Sorry, gone off topic a bit.