Why become a member? ×

Which small-ish cab?

edshred

Hi. I'm looking for a decent lightweight 210 or 115. 

Currently using genzler 800 into a nx212 which absolutely smashes it, gig after gig with loads to spare.

I'm after a smaller cab for smaller club gigs/ festivals / rehearsals where I don't need the clout but it still needs enough to fill the small stage/rehearsal space so still want something high quality and relitively sensitive/loud. :)

Sometimes lugging the larger cab through fields/long walks where I don't actually need something that size is getting a bit tiresome, not to mention the boot space it takes and having to bring an extra car because of my cab. 

I'll keep my nx212 for bigger gigs and a smaller  cab for smaller things and probably won't ever run them together so ideally I'm looking for a 4ohm cab but not essential. 

I'm not looking for a single 12 as IME I've never found one to be enough in any situation (I've owned a f112, and a gb focus 12 plus various others)

I'm playing latin/funk/dub/ska/hip hop /soul etc etc. 

What I'm after from you guys really is first hand experience (although subjective of course) of which either lightweight 210 or 115 you use, what you are using it for and how it subjectively fares in your situation. Interested in the venderklay lnt 210 although a little on the heavy side. Berg hdn210. Eich 115xs? Anything else I should add? I used to own a barefaced compact 15, volume was fine, sold it as I didn't like the way it sounded but the trade off was reasonable. 

Open chat about this anyone? Preferences and why? 

Edited by edshred

A 210 or 115 won't be a lot smaller than what you have and (in view of your comment about the VDK, which is bound to be recommended) may not weigh any or much less or take up very much less space. Why not invest in a decent trolley for the 212 so it's an easier carry and save some money?

Edited by Dan Dare

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Why not invest in a decent trolley for the 212 so it's an easier carry and save some money?

Nx2 has wheels, which certinaly make things easier for most situations i use it. A trolley is something else to fit in limited boot space (nx2 fills the whole boot) + I'm after a small cab to save on space / weight ;)

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, if you weren’t keen on the transparency/flat response of the BF Compact then providing you’re not looking for crisp modern highs the BF210 would fit the bill nicely. 

I found the compact, (this is the first gen) a bit too old school sounding. Not sure how the 210s compare but what I've read is that they are based on more old school sounding cabs which isn't really what I'm after. I do like a bit of clarity as I'm using a few high gain overdrives and some envolope filters here and there.

Wld love to hear from someone who has used a HDN 210 or eich/tecamp 115xs for small gigs. 

The Super Compact is a single 12 and very different from the original Compact cab. There is a lot of clarity and you get prominent mids, very different from the cabs with their 10” driver. I’ve used a single SC on gigs and been too loud, it’s a very very good cab.

I went for a rehearsal in a rented room the other day - used some Peavy thing.  There was no clarity whatsoever!

I’m taking my Two10 next time.  They are vintage sounding, but also very clear.  All my band mates commented on the clarity (and depth).

Greenboy F112?  I see that you mentioned an F112, but not 100% sure that we're speaking of the same cab.   If you didn't like the F112,  then maybe one of the big brothers?  F210?

I've also played through the Bergantino HD210 cabs and they are really nice sounding, but not light, so not sure what you'll win in terms of portability...

Edited by Jazzjames

On 16/06/2019 at 09:18, Merton said:

The Super Compact is a single 12 and very different from the original Compact cab. There is a lot of clarity and you get prominent mids, very different from the cabs with their 10” driver. I’ve used a single SC on gigs and been too loud, it’s a very very good cab.

Another vote for Barefaced. Its worth contacting them to discuss their cabs to see if they'll do what you need, but if you order one you get a month trial where you can return it with a full refund. I've used a Super Compact for about 4 years doing weddings so lots of different venues with lots of different bands and it's always been loud enough.