Why become a member? ×

No need to hide that new purchase anymore

oldslapper

2 hours ago, bazzbass said:

funniest caper I read about was the guy that took his wife with him to the shop and bought a $300 red Squier

Which he returned next day for a Fender red bass lol

Aye. I've been confronted with that trick several times as a seller, even without the need for a physical return. These blokes (always blokes) would inform me beforehand they wanted the invoice for the cheap item (paid with bank card) and didn't need the invoice for the expensive item minus the return of the cheap item (paid in cash).

Whilst I'm not in favour of cheating one's better half, I feel like defending some of these guys a bit - in some cases: some better halves are just terrible, and one tends to try and survive and compromise etc for some time - - especially when one had kids. Been there, done that (not the cheating bit) when I needed musical instruments to simply get bread on the table at all.

Look the thread is just meant to be a bit of fun. I apologise to all those that have taken offence, or whatever else has been taken whilst reading it. 

In relationships, lying and deception is not healthy, in fact it is incredibly damaging. But I started the thread with the intention of laughing at ourselves (or more importantly myself). 

I will now go and self flagellate, which won’t be difficult after the vegetable soup I ate at lunch time. (No offence meant to vegetation, meal time descriptions or soup)  

• Haha 1

I had a guy buy a bass from me, but he wanted to collect it early Sunday morning.

He came about 9am because he wanted to get it home before his wife woke up! 😂

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Haha 1

Hey Paul @Hobbayne, you've reminded us we have a flagellation emoji! :D

To get back on topic, I do find this kind of posts sexist and boring, if I can be honest with you all. I'm sick to death of people suggesting I buy some new shoes when @Happy Jack succumbs to GAS, even when they know I'm a bass player (I'm not referring to the OP in this case).

I'm bored with hearing about wives who appear to be hostile to new purchases. If you've got kids and your wife has a job, chances are she pours all of her income into the family coffers, forgetting about shoes and handbags, so she has all the right to ask about you splashing thousands - or even just hundreds - on bass stuff unless there's a good reason. Usually, all she is asking about is for you to provide that good reason.

Nobody is offended by this male-centred banter: we're just bored sh!tless.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

To get back on topic, I do find this kind of posts sexist and boring, if I can be honest with you all. I'm sick to death of people suggesting I buy some new shoes when @Happy Jack succumbs to GAS, even when they know I'm a bass player (I'm not referring to the OP in this case).

I'm bored with hearing about wives who appear to be hostile to new purchases. If you've got kids and your wife has a job, chances are she pours all of her income into the family coffers, forgetting about shoes and handbags, so she has all the right to ask about you splashing thousands - or even just hundreds - on bass stuff unless there's a good reason. Usually, all she is asking about is for you to provide that good reason.

I’ve edited my posts accordingly @Silvia Bluejay 

Although I’m not totally clear whether you are stating it is offensive, or not, and who you are speaking for. If content is sexist then it should be removed, as per BC rules. But as I posted yesterday, it was more pointing a finger at the purchasers inability to come clean about a new purchase than about the attitudes of partners, whatever they’re gender.

I thought I was clear enough when I said that I don't find it offensive, or I would have removed it long ago. I find it just boring and, frankly, a bit silly, because despite your current clutching at straws, you must have known that it would immediately take the 'wrong' turn.

No need to delete the entire post, really, as I said, I could have done it at the beginning, wot wiv me being a mod and all.

3 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

What if you haven’t got kids, she earns a lot more than you do and you have separate bank accounts, like in my case? 😉

Edited by 4000

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Probably wondering if she'll have to bail you out with her own money? ;) :D (Only joking!)

😁

Actually, joking aside, I’m extremely responsible with money due to having a dad who wasn’t. Which is why I find it somewhat irritating. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 14:15, bazzbass said:

funniest caper I read about was the guy that took his wife with him to the shop and bought a $300 red Squier

Which he returned next day for a Fender red bass lol

Hey, now why didn't I think of that? Genius.... pure genius! ;) lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

To get back on topic, I do find this kind of posts sexist and boring, 

Look I’m not after an argument and I’m not backpedaling, your reply clearly stated you found it sexist, then ended by stating you don’t find it offensive. (Quote 👆🏻)

If it’s sexist, then it IS offensive. I will crawl back under the misogynist rock from which I came. 

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'd feel the same. Some people can't help themselves, though, possibly for the same reasons as you reacting to your Dad's profligacy?

An astute observation, but based on her family circumstances, sadly inaccurate. 😊

It's more a control thing....