Why become a member? ×

No need to hide that new purchase anymore

oldslapper

6 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Thank you Andy for reminding us that not all musicians' wives are idiots. 9_9:D😎

Mine is far from it. I just tell her what’s arriving. It’s usually a bass followed by a pair of KG’s or before we had 4 kids, a pair of laboutin’s if it was an expensive bass...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

"It's not mine...I'm just borrowing it..."

Just used this when i took my new Yamaha home. Not that she would notice, but somethings are best left unsaid., 

I used to keep to the same colour basses so she wouldn't  notice, but even that was overthinking it. I dont tihnk she wold notice if a double bass suddenly appeared in the living room. ‘Nah, ive had  this for years’ 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Jen’s off shoes at the minute, favouring trainers and flats...

to put that into perspective, we are moving house and I’ve packed 104 pairs of high heeled shoes she’s not currently wearing.

If she was currently wearing them, she'd be a centipede.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

"It's not mine...I'm just borrowing it..."

In the 90s a friend of mine had over £10ks worth of 'borrowed' gear.

He and his partner split up soon afterwards.

I don't often buy stuff, but if I do I'll mention it to the wife. She just says, "If you think it's good, get it". 

She has 11 dolls houses around the house (and 2 in the loft), about 10 big boxes of quilting fabric, 20 cacti and various other house plants and the whole garden is hers to do with as she wishes. My corner of the front room is tiny by comparison.

20 hours ago, chris_b said:

I don't often buy stuff, but if I do I'll mention it to the wife. She just says, "If you think it's good, get it". 

She has 11 dolls houses around the house

Why not combine your interests?

Here's the link to the site which talks about bass dolls, but the link to the original Japanese site is 404, unfortunately.

http://www.bunnybass.com/e-zine/amusing/amusingbass58.shtml

Bass doll.jpg

Edited by musicbassman
  • Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 21:56, Silvia Bluejay said:

Thank you Andy for reminding us that not all musicians' wives are idiots. 9_9:D😎

Absolutely Sylvia.

My better half does the household finances, so even if I wanted to sneak something past her under my coat (guitar wise obvs), it appears on a spreadsheet sometime later. 😄

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is good fun, but do people really hide new purchases from or justify them to their partners? When mine was alive, if I wanted to buy an instrument or piece of equipment, I did. It was my money and provided the household budget didn't suffer, that was the end of it. I wouldn't have dreamt of objecting to her buying anything, of course.

• Like 1

Exactly this ^ I don’t get why anyone would even be involved with, let alone married to, someone who told them what they could or couldn’t buy. Obviously one has to be responsible and adult, but then we are responsible adults aren’t we? If anyone patronisingly suggested I didn’t need another bass I’d rather less patronisingly suggest they fvck3d off.

• Like 3

I do tell my wife about impending purchases when it's of more than a couple of hundred quid (be it basses or bikes), under the guise of agreeing it with her. I haven't had a refusal so far, possibly because if I can justify buying something to myself, justifying it to her is a piece of cake. Not that such things happen with great frequency, mind.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the whole 'smuggling in a new bass/amp/whatever past the wife' thing either.  We both know the state of our finances, neither of us a extravagant or have secret expensive habits.  If I say to Mrs S I am thinking of buying a new bass/amp/expensive plant for the garden/whatever if she expresses an opinion at all she'll generally say 'If you want it, get it'.   If I tell her I am thinking of selling a bass/amp/whatever - knowing of my bouts of sellers' remorse - she'll say 'why don't you just keep it?' 

• Like 2