Why become a member? ×

Are there any Fender P with a J neck as standard?

fretmeister

Yup Yammy BBs are typically in the 9.5 lbs to 10.2 lbs range (but what a great bass for the money!)

Ibanez on the other hand are not heavy at all and probably have the most playable neck of any bass (certainly that I have come across). They are less well known for their P basses, although their new SR 650 does look pretty tasty (655 shown in pic) and this has the more fulsome Nords (rather than the tamer Barts which usually appear on their 'Standard' range) together with a reverse P pup set up. Add 3 band EQ and adjustable mids and you have a very decent bass indeed.

Oh dear, I think you've just helped me identify my next bass! 😂

Image result for ibanez sr650e

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@dave_bass5 will hopefully be able to jump in and confirm (as he has played a much wider range of P basses than me), the Yammy PJs have a very comfortable neck to play. 

Definitely. I dont know why i never looked at these basses before. My P34 has a 40mm nut. To me its a jazz neck but a bit more open and not quite as cramped at the nut end.

It was just pointed out to me by Al Krow that of course its 40mm and not 40in.

Edited by dave_bass5
typo.

What about the Aerodyne Jazz bass? Obviously it has a jazz bass body shape but it has a Precision split coil in the right position and it has a jazz neck profile, at least the one I had about 10-12 years ago did. Great lightweight basses although the bound edge on the body will eventually erode your forearm down to the bone. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pete.young said:

If weight is an issue too, maybe it would be worth getting Maruszczyk to make you a chambered Jake with Jazz neck. Probably still be cheaper than a US fender.

I have a Jake 5 string with a 43mm nut width that weighs 8lbs.  Yes, a 5 string.  Lovely thing it is too.  So a 4 string will weigh a decent chunk less.

• Like 1